Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Cherry Laptop Desk w/Leather Panels Mucho Pics

UPDATE: Cherry Laptop Desk w/Leather Panels Mucho Pics

Well, another month brings another project to an end. Uh, almost. I have a few details that I need to finish up, but this desk is 99% done.

The design is taken from the Moser catalog. I drew up the plans myself, so it’s not an exact copy. I wanted to be able to hide the cords of the laptop, phone, and lamp, so I built a hidden compartment to manage all the cords. The trick was figuring out how to run one cord from the compartment. My solution was to trim off an 1/8” of the leg, plow out a groove for the a cord and then glue the 1/8” strip back so that it would be invisible. It worked perfect. At the top of the leg, I routed out a groove so that the cord could fit into the compartment. I then mounted a powerstrip into the compartment. The bottom of the compartment is cut so that the drawer face matches the grain. The spinners hold the drawer face in place. I have to put walnut grommets in the top yet, but they haven’t arrived so I’m waiting on this. This is .5% left undone.

The leather panels were mounted on ½” MDF with ¼” cherry ply for the bottom. I opted to have an upholsterer do the leather work for me. I know, I’m a wimp, but it’s safer this way!

The drawers were cut on the Leigh D4 - halfblinds on the front, thru on the back. The only maple I had left in my shop was this tiger maple. I really like the way they turned out. The bottoms are ½” and beveled to ¼” to fit in the grooves. I was going to build secret compartments into the back, but after much debate with my wife, we opted to not put them in. The drawer fronts were cut out in such a way that all the grain matches.

The joints on the top of the table were pegged with ¼” cherry dowel. The legs were pinned with 1/8” walnut pegs.

The other .5% that I need to do is spray with lacquer. Right now the BLO is curing. In a few weeks, I’ll get to work on putting a final coat on.

The next project is to build a chair for the desk. I have it started, but I should probably finish this one up first!

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason Tuinstra; 10-06-2005 at 1:33 PM.

The rest of the pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a shame all you had laying around was that tiger maple. Too bad you didn't have anything flashy to use instead.

Beautiful job Jason! Everything about it...design, materials, execution, and finish...are superb.

- Vaughn

Nice Job Jason...love it..nothing like cherry!
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

Jason, Jason, Jason...talk about a guy with TWO callings! Once again, you amaze. That desk is really awesome; even better than I knew it would be. And the material. Sheesh! In-Cred-E-Bull!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

WOW! Jason. Simple elegance. What did you use for the finish? Dave.

WOW!!! Just plain gorgeous Jason!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

WOW ! WOW ! WOW ! Takes my breath away ! WOW !

Very beautiful Jason. Another great piece.

Corey

Excellent...excellent work Jason! As usual.......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Desk

Jason: Fabulous desk, beautiful in all respects. How interesting that a "Fisher of Men" is also a woodworker. Hmmm, seems like a familiar concept.

Congrats on completing another wonderful piece. Is it for you or a commission? Blessings, Tom

Jason,

Not too darn shappy!!!! well done.

Tom, it's funny, many of the pastors that I'm friends with enjoy woodworking as well. What is it about pastors? Hey, are you going to the airshow this weekend? My neighbor is flying his F-18 demonstration in it. He made the papers last week in Moneray CA when he came a wee bit to close the ole' sound barrier.

I built the desk for our bedroom. We actually just put it in and it looks great.

Thanks to everyone else for your kind comments!

Wonderful work, as always, Jason. Very clever on the wires. The Shakers were laptop guys too, I am told.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Beautiful.

Pete P.