Thread: Walker Turner Bandsaw - Good Deal?

Walker Turner Bandsaw - Good Deal?

I've been keeping my eyes peeled on Craigslist for months looking for a bandsaw and all that ever seems to come up is either junk, or over priced quality stuff. Trying to be patient but you guys know how that goes when you want a bandsaw and have money burning a hole in your pocket. I'm just getting back into wood working and have been reading up a lot on bandsaws, but hadn't come across anything on Walker Turner until recently, so I had originally passed over this. That said, they seem to be highly thought of so I'm asking those wiser that me if they think this is a good deal and think it would serve well as a general use bandsaw? The blade guard is a concern, but I'm hoping I can find one. Other than that....what do you guys think? Make an offer or pass and be patient? Any help is appreciated.

If something doesn't come along in the next month or so, I'll probably buy a new Grizzly, Laguna, or Rikon. Still undecided.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/5767131325.html

That is a good saw and priced VERY well for the buyer at $350, and built better than anything new at 4 (or more) times the price. Compared to "modern" bandsaws there will be two limitations, one it won't cut very tall stock and will likely have fewer HP than a lot of the modern saws. Tall resaw height is a newer "requirement" for this size of saw. I think you will be happy with this saw if you do not have current and specific needs it doesn't address. It also makes a perfect second saw if you ever decide to buy a "big" saw later.

If it was local and I was looking for that size saw I would already be handing the cash over.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    That is a good saw and priced VERY well for the buyer at $350, and built better than anything new at 4 (or more) times the price. Compared to "modern" bandsaws there will be two limitations, one it won't cut very tall stock and will likely have fewer HP than a lot of the modern saws. Tall resaw height is a newer "requirement" for this size of saw. I think you will be happy with this saw if you do not have current and specific needs it doesn't address. It also makes a perfect second saw if you ever decide to buy a "big" saw later.

If it was local and I was looking for that size saw I would already be handing the cash over.
    Thank you. I was actually hoping you would reply as I have leaned a lot reading your posts on bandsaws. I'll go check it out get it probably end up bringing it home with me. I don't a large resaw height need at the moment so this should serve me well.

Heck,I almost though I was in the classified section,looking for the Buy it now button.Please go and get it,then post pics and tell us the story

I agree with Van...scarf that thing up for your shop. If you can't find an existing blade guard, you can likely construct one with a little thought.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Regarding the blade guard here are the drawings if you want to make yourown or have one fabricated for you.

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Wal...ladeGuard.ashx
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

That is an excellent saw. Classic art deco lines, cast base, CI wheels. If you need to do any work on it, there are plenty of folks over at OWWM glad to help. The only possible downside of WT tools is they sometimes used non-standard bearings which are difficult, but not impossible to find when a rebuild is necessary.

The ad is gone so I haven't seen it, but-

The only caveat with SOME WT's is as Dave mentioned: The bearings. (Mostly the drills, but also some bandsaws) Again, with SOME models, they are of a size no longer made.

However, it is evidently fairly easy to retro-fit a modern bearing which is very close. Ask on OWWM or Google it, just so you have this info for future reference.

The bearing situation can crop up in just about any W-T machine. I had a belt/disk sander (now in my neighbor's shop) with oddball inch size bearings (most current bearings are metric these days) which were very difficult to find. Since I had a metal lathe at the time, it was easier to fabricate a new shaft than to source the bearings. YMMV.

Well?Well,did you get it Luke????

I've got one taken apart in the garage. It was a $100+ $50 for transport cost, and probably 12 hours of work from the time it hit craigslist till it was stashed away. It was a lot of fun to move single handed. It needs a base, motor, bearings and tires.I will probably put another $400 into it one way or another and a month of sundays to get it running, and then it will probably be worth $600, and never ever sold. Oh did I mention it came with the fence?

We're kinda a W/T "shop" here.Have an impressive list or collection.They all have been "gone through",top to bttm,and are paying their way.Cpl.BS's.14" wood/metal with "improved" upper wheel tracking system.This saw is somewhere about 1/2 way between machine shop and our cabinet shop....felt it appropriate considering it's mission.Sheet metal and tubing are it's job.1940 sumthin.

Next BS is the ubiquitous '39 16" wood.Just got new tyres,it's our most used BS.It's a real sweetheart.It lives next to assembly in the main shop.

W/T's may not be the best machine for everyone.They have their quirks.But in use once they have been gone through,you're gonna get a grin pretty much EVERY time you hit the switch.

I own a Walker Turner band saw and love it. Since the link's gone, it's hard to see what model the seller listed, but at $350 any of the old Walker Turner saws are worth it.

I did talk to the guy selling it on Friday. Real nice guy told me it was well taken care of. Never got a chance to go look at it though, because he was heading out Saturday morning Pheasant hunting for the weekend. I’m going to head over there one day this week after work and give it a quick look over then get it home. I’ll post up some picks when I finally get it home. He said he was going to take down the ad and if I ended up not wanting it, he would just keep it. No rush at this point other me being excited to get it home.