Thread: SawStop Power Feed

SawStop Power Feed

I have the industrial model SawStop with the 52" fence & table. I am wanting to install a power feed on it, but have never seen one with power feed. What one would you suggest? What is the downside to doing this?

Permanently installed, or temporary for big ripping projects?

Other folks on here might know if the Felder swing away type feeder mount would bolt up to the SawStop. I just drilled and tapped holes in one wing to mount up a feeder for the occaisional job that it benefits.

If your budget allows, the new Comatic DC motor feeders are versatile and you can get split wheels to allow it to easily straddle the blade.
    http://www.shopgearinc.com/products/...speed-feeders/
    JR

Would be temporary. Just for those ripping job with longer boards. Like the Comatic but way out of my price range. Thanks

What is your price range?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Was hoping to stay under 700-800

I have a SS ICS and mounted a small power feeder for temporary attachment on the left wing. I built a large coopered tank using 8" wide by 6' long cedar and a 16' long 30" diameter coopered pipe for a kids playground slide (cedar was a liitle bit wet--first trip of the brake!!) and I wanted the bevels to be exact--at least consistent--and Rockler had the Delta 1/2 hp feeder on sale so I was off and running. I asked the pros here on SMC about mounting the feeder on a plate of some sort and simply clamping the assembly to the saw and was advised that it needed to be more positively secured. I sweated punching holes in the CI top but it was easily done, just had to position holes to miss the structural webbing underneath. I think I used 1/2" Allen head bolts, drilled and tapped the three hole and it worked very well. I also dadoed 1 1/2" wide by 1" deep slots in 10' cedar 4x4's to hold ballisters for railings and the lightweight feeder handled the load without any problems. I am a hobby WWer so the small unit was enough for me. Griz has the same unit in Griz green ~~$300 I think. I haven't used it since but install takes just a few minutes. Good luck, JCB

Ckecked the Griz site nad feeder is 1/8 hp and $375, Lightweight but OK for my needs.

I use my power feeder both on my shaper and my router table using two clamps and has worked fine. There is a 3/8" base the feeder is bolted too and I clamp that feeder to the table top of the machine I want to use it on. One thing to consider is if your SS is strong enough (and your blade sharp enough) to push through with the speed the feeder does.

doors16.jpg

John, would you mind posting a couple of pics of your setup? I also have an ICS and a Delta 1/2hp feeder and am curious where exactly you mounted it. thanks, bob

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Ckecked the Griz site nad feeder is 1/8 hp and $375, Lightweight but OK for my needs.
    I might move up to a 1/4hp but I have seen people use baby feeders on TS. FYI if you don't buy it while it is on sale at Grizzly (it is $30 off now) shopgrearinc has the Co-Matic cheaper (including shipping) than the normal Grizzly price and Co-Matic makes the Grizzly feeder or if you just like the look of a white feeder vs green on the SS, it is $420 shipped from Shop Gear vs $400 while on sale at Grizzly.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I regret every power feeder I've purchased that isn't one of those brushless dc units. Just throwing that out there.

I've got a table saw I would like to weld a cart up for to mount a feeder to the left side of the saw on. Bolt the cart to the saw when needed, and roll it out of the way the rest of the time. If it were a permanent fixture on the saw, I wouldn't sweat drilling and tapping it into the wing. They get kinda unruly when being moved though.