Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There was some interest in my half mitered dovetails so I decided to do a tutorial

There was some interest in my half mitered dovetails so I decided to do a tutorial

eoRvAgu.jpg
    Here is a link to the video
    https://youtu.be/XlY7owmtMPw[/VIDEO]

Thanks a bunch for the video. You took the "scary" out of it and made it look "doable".
    David

Good video, thanks for posting.

Enjoyed the video! You do, indeed, make it look much less scary than it sounds!

Mike

Well done. TY4 posting.

Good hand skills, including the use of the coping saw. The video is free of fillers and long-winded stuff that are often found in other woodworking videos, including many produced by those online woodworking teachers or offline (i.e. DVDs). Less is more and yours is a very good example.

Simon

Excellent DVD and I also appreciate you dealing mainly with what is different vs going through the whole handcutting dovetails steps. Thanks
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the video. You took the "scary" out of it and made it look "doable".
    Thanks for the comment, i really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Excellent DVD and I also appreciate you dealing mainly with what is different vs going through the whole handcutting dovetails steps. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Good hand skills, including the use of the coping saw. The video is free of fillers and long-winded stuff that are often found in other woodworking videos, including many produced by those online woodworking teachers or offline (i.e. DVDs). Less is more and yours is a very good example.

Simon

I really make an effort to keep my videos short and to the point. So many times while watching other youtubers I find myself fast forwarding through most of the video and I really don't want my viewers to have to do that. I REALLY appreciate these comments because it makes all of the effort worth it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

That was excellent, Wes!!

'Just as an aside, there are many SMC members who do not have the Internet bandwidth to be able to watch videos. Perhaps you'll consider posting a series of still photos that detail the process "in your copious free time".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

11. Well done!

wow great job. I do agree that you have made the video to the point which is very refreshing. what i want to see is you do that with hard maple or hickory

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    wow great job. I do agree that you have made the video to the point which is very refreshing. what i want to see is you do that with hard maple or hickory

So its kinda funny you say that. The project I did right before this tutorial was with Quina. For a comparison, Poplar, Red Oak and Hickory have Janka hardness ratings of 540, 1280 and 1820 respectively. Quina has a Janka rating of 2200. It is extremly hard and completely misserable to work with. I will NEVER buy it again. I spent more time sharpening than anything. Here is a link to the build if you are interested. https://youtu.be/eY9peN9xgRc

Never tried a hand cut dovetail. The fear is gone.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That was excellent, Wes!!

'Just as an aside, there are many SMC members who do not have the Internet bandwidth to be able to watch videos. Perhaps you'll consider posting a series of still photos that detail the process "in your copious free time".

Jim, thanks for the reply. I am struggling a little with what I should do with this. As I am sure it is with everyone here, this is just a hobby for me, and vidoeing everything in the woodshop takes so much time, not to mention the video editing etc. I usually don't take pictures. the only pictures I get are usually the finished piece or snaps I take from the video. Usually by the time I am finished editing the video, the thought of writing a detailed process is a little overwhelming. Maybe as I get better with the video and editing process it won't take so long and will be easier for me to do more, right now I am just trying to keep it fun while being able to give something back to the online woodworking community.