Thread: Poineer Chest / miller dowl question

Poineer Chest / miller dowl question

Hi All

Many thanks for the warm welcome. I Promise I will post pic's very shortly. I'll take some of a Black walnut table that was my Wife's
    Birthday 12/3/04
    Christamss 12/25/04
    Anaversery 3/26/05
    Present

She said it was worth the wait.

I have a question about Miller dowls and there use in a project that I am doing. I am building a pioneer type box 24 long by 18 wide and 18 deep with Hand dovetailed corners. It is made of poplar and I am going to stain it calssic cheery and use a boiled linseed oil / wax finish. I love the oil wax finishes and use them a great deal. It has a recessed top that is 3/4 inchs thick. I sits in a recess make by a upper banding of 3/4" X 2" around the upper case. The top has 3/8 of it's thickness above the banding and sits on the inner case top. The top is 3 - 8" boards shiplapped with grain running the 18" way from front to back.

My question is should I use miller dowls to attach the shiplaped boards to the chest top?? I have never used miller dowls and I want this to look good. I was thinking of using walnut dowls to show that dowls were used. Has anyone used miller dowls and what is the consensus of opion on them.

I do not want any metal in the box, every piece I have made so far has been wood jointed, Hidden dove tails, mortice and tennion, etc mostly cut by hand with some powertool help. Only used excurshin pins to hold on key covers and screws for lock mech's.

I have included a dwg of the drawing I made. It is not the best but it works for me it the shop.

Many thanks
    Bob Oehler
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Oehler; 10-05-2005 at 11:38 PM.

Poineer Chest / miller dowl question

Hi All
    This message got burried and there were no responces so I responded to it to bring it to the top again.
    Any comments on attaching the shiplapped top boards onto the cabent would be a great help

Many Thanks
    Bob Oehler

I've used the Miller Dowel system to pin mortice & tenon joints. It works very well. I'm not sure of your application, but I do like them where ever a dowel will show, easy to use and contrasting woods looks good too.

I have been using them for a few months now.I really like them I work mostly with oak,and like to use the walnut dowels for contrast.If I anchor a top on a cabinet with them i put them in at an angle for more strength.Cheapest place to buy them that I have found is CSH aka Custom Service Hardware,in Cedarburg WI. www.cshardware.com 1-800-882-0009.Good luck.Just recieved my first order from them,they were very prompt on their shipping.