Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraved Polyline must be closed

Engraved Polyline must be closed

I have a large design with lots of little designs with in and keep getting this error. I know what it means. My question is. Is there an easy way to find the open line. It will take me hours to zoom in on every detail looking for it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

In CorelDraw, click on the open path, then select Arrange -> close path -> closest nodes with straight lines. (Other options might work okay too.) If there is an open path (say .001" gap) this would close it with a straight segment. This is in X4; the menu in X5 might be slightly different.

I don't see an option for open path, where would I find that?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rumancik View Post
    In CorelDraw, click on the open path, then select Arrange -> close path -> closest nodes with straight lines. (Other options might work okay too.) If there is an open path (say .001" gap) this would close it with a straight segment. This is in X4; the menu in X5 might be slightly different.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

It's "close path", and it's at the bottom of the ARRANGE tab
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I have join curves in that spot guess it means the same thing, but it didn't work. I've decided to vector cut the lines instead of engrave it. Will save me a bunch of hassle trying to figure out why only part will engrave and not the rest.
    Thank you all for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    It's "close path", and it's at the bottom of the ARRANGE tab
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

My new version Lasersoft has a 'data detection' routine that can find open contours and stuff--
    detect.jpg
    --how well it works is anyone's guess, I did try it on a graphic awhile back, but it was real complicated, and was finding open spots that Corel said weren't open. Sooooo...

If you want to post up the Corel or DXF file, I can see if it'll help! (I'm using x4)
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

If you post a dxf I have a couple of programs that can show open vectors

If you look at the picture you can see what engraved, the whole top should have engraved
    IMG_20161114_161215762.jpgTissue box top .cdr
    I cut the rest just to get it done, Kinda like it this way but still would like to know why it didn't engrave

My new version Lasersoft has a 'data detection' routine that can find open contours and stuff--
    detect.jpg
    --how well it works is anyone's guess, I did try it on a graphic awhile back, but it was real complicated, and was finding open spots that Corel said weren't open. Sooooo...

If you want to post up the Corel or DXF file, I can see if it'll help! (I'm using x4)
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I have a large design with lots of little designs with in and keep getting this error. I know what it means. My question is. Is there an easy way to find the open line. It will take me hours to zoom in on every detail looking for it.
    For clarification are you saying the parts won't fill in Corel or is it just not engraving.

What I do is try to fill the shape as the test. From the pic It looks like I would start with ungrouping the piece not filling and see If I could isolate which ones are open.
    I will download the file & look at it tomorrow. It is hard to say without doing that.

Tissue box top2.cdr

Fixed it-- But not with Corel..

Funny thing, the pattern has lots of open connections, but simply opening your job in Corel and dumping it straight into my Lasersoft, it painted perfect as was ready to go, no typical errors, and when I checked for unclosed segments, it came up zero... which is weird!
    works1.jpg

In Corel I found your outline pattern wasn't connected anywhere. Corel outlined it fine, I saved the now-one-piece outline and threw out the broken lines. However, trying to outline all the inner segments was an exercise in futility. It refused to 'batch' outline anything if I grouped everything. Sometimes it would outline a small batch of a few pieces, but sometimes grouping only 2 items, it would NOT outline either of them, but it WOULD outline them separately... (this is one of my peeves with Corel, as this makes NO sense to me!)

I could've hunt & pecked, but that's what you were doing, and I didn't want to either!

Enter Gravostyle-- I exported it all as a DXF, and imported it in Gravostyle, which gives me "connect" and "link" options, where it will automatically connect open segments. Sometimes this doesn't work, but on this pattern it worked flawlessly. I DID change the default connect-to distances, increased the space that it would still connect, maybe that was the trick. Whatever, it worked great! After the import I found it painted perfect... So I re-exported it as a DXF again and put it back in Corel... The result is in the link above, I'm using Corel x4. I did 3 versions of it, all outlines, all combined and painted (including the border) and inside parts only combined and painted (excluded the border)...

Wish I could figure out how to make Corel do this!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Kev your one awesome dude, the time you put into helping is beyond words, can't thank you enough.
    Tissue box top2.cdr

Fixed it-- But not with Corel..

Funny thing, the pattern has lots of open connections, but simply opening your job in Corel and dumping it straight into my Lasersoft, it painted perfect as was ready to go, no typical errors, and when I checked for unclosed segments, it came up zero... which is weird!
    works1.jpg

In Corel I found your outline pattern wasn't connected anywhere. Corel outlined it fine, I saved the now-one-piece outline and threw out the broken lines. However, trying to outline all the inner segments was an exercise in futility. It refused to 'batch' outline anything if I grouped everything. Sometimes it would outline a small batch of a few pieces, but sometimes grouping only 2 items, it would NOT outline either of them, but it WOULD outline them separately... (this is one of my peeves with Corel, as this makes NO sense to me!)

I could've hunt & pecked, but that's what you were doing, and I didn't want to either!

Enter Gravostyle-- I exported it all as a DXF, and imported it in Gravostyle, which gives me "connect" and "link" options, where it will automatically connect open segments. Sometimes this doesn't work, but on this pattern it worked flawlessly. I DID change the default connect-to distances, increased the space that it would still connect, maybe that was the trick. Whatever, it worked great! After the import I found it painted perfect... So I re-exported it as a DXF again and put it back in Corel... The result is in the link above, I'm using Corel x4. I did 3 versions of it, all outlines, all combined and painted (including the border) and inside parts only combined and painted (excluded the border)...

Wish I could figure out how to make Corel do this!
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I know you've already solved the problem, but wouldn't it just be simple to convert the file to a .JPG with a clear background and engrave it like you would any other picture?

ust asking.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

I don't think that would work for several reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Shawa View Post
    I know you've already solved the problem, but wouldn't it just be simple to convert the file to a .JPG with a clear background and engrave it like you would any other picture?

ust asking.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I don't think that would work for several reasons.
    Correct

What I saw with the Pieces that wouldn't fill was that they were 2 separate paths. So I had to weld the 2 paths, fill with color, (color fill does not work yet), auto close, (now color fill kicks in), then join nodes. That is all that needed to be done . . . times a 100 or so repetitions. Over all not bad artwork just not completed as needed.

Good to find an automated method.

Hi Bert; Just downloaded the top and found open vectors.
    I highlighted the complete drawing went to Join Curves with the tick removed and then hit apply.
    Nearly all the vectors closed there is one that I found 2nd or 3rd down from the left that would not close. There was a smaller line joining it but would not join, Clicked the Break Apart command and then highlighted both points again and clicked join worked fine. Sorry I can not send the corrected file as I am getting a virus warning from the file.
    36 X 24 FS Laser
    1.5 by 1.5 Mtr CNC 2.2 watt spindle
    using Corel Draw 16
    Vector programs for CNC