Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal lathe users?

I am debating between a new, mini, Chinese built to Little Machine Shop specs:http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=1271799306

Or a larger and older mini-beast which appears to be overpriced: http://www.alencotool.com/lathepages/lathe073041.html

That little Atlas is a sweet lathe Tom, accessories for it might be easier found, asking price can be whittled down usually.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    That little Atlas is a sweet lathe Tom, accessories for it might be easier found, asking price can be whittled down usually.
    That's what I thought. Everybody seems to think it's priced high.

So you think that Atlas accessories will be easy to find?

I would think a lot easier than for the far east build one, as there are many of these lathes and have been around for years, they are sturdy and well made lathes.

Ebay does show al kinds of accessories for Atlas lathes.
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-16-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
    I am debating between a new, mini, Chinese built to Little Machine Shop specs:http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=1271799306

Or a larger and older mini-beast which appears to be overpriced: http://www.alencotool.com/lathepages/lathe073041.html
    Tom, out of curiosity I checked Chicago CL, 165 hits under "lathe". Several South Bend and Logan lathes with quick change gear boxes, better lathes for less money than your links.

On other forums posters have mentioned the bargains in lathes in your area. It appears to be true. If there are that many better deals right now think about what you might find by watching CL on a daily basis.

Tom, Yes, IMHO the Atlas is significantly overpriced. I own a 12 x 36 (Commercial) Atlas and paid around $500. It came with a 3 jaw and a 4 jaw chuck. If you keep looking around you should be able to find a better deal.

Yes I use a Metal lathe for turning wood projects
    it is a sherline lathe and I have both CNC and manual models
    they work very well for rounding stock then switch it to the wood lathe for finishing
    Ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

Here is a link to South Bend's book, How to run a lathe. Lot's of good info.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/3789.pdf

Thanks Doug, I have been checking CL daily, but out of those 145 to 165 "hits" most of them are for parts or tools.
    I'm not in a hurry though.

Tom, I had a HF version of the Grizzly lathe you showed. I really couldn't get it to do much for me......too small and under powered. So I found the SB 9 on CL up in Indiana and drove up there to get it. You got to have tooling like, chucks, tool holders, boring bars, taper attachments, etc. to make these machines do much for you. Tooling is expensive. In my case I thought I got some great tooling, but found the chucks were worn out as well as some other parts. I did enjoy rebuilding my lathe, it was very dirty. Down here around Chattanooga Tn. we don't have very many lathes available, plenty of tractor stuff, but few lathes. Up around Chicago, you should be able to scoop up a great deal, that's in good condition. I'd look at Logans, SB9's, Atlas, some of these are called "Tool Room" lathes, they are smaller and more suited for wood workers. Bigger is better, but often not practical, and tooling can be more expensive. Study up on the options for these models. My SB9 came in 3 models, A, B and C. The attraction of mine was the powered cross feed and compound feed as well as having a tapering attachment. Tonight I used all of these features making a couple of captured boring bars for our Christmas silent auction. If you're like I was, you don't know much about metal lathes. Check the bed is not over worn. Many of these small heavy duty lathes did one function in a factory and that area of the bed and feed screw are worn out. Check the bearings, they can be replaced, but better if you don't have to. The lathes I listed have a good aftermarket following and parts are available. Shars is a good supplier as well as ENCO, there are others. Start with a good 3 jaw chuck, life's is too short to center up a 4 jaw chuck (there jaws are independent). Consider upgrading the drive system to a VFD. Dealers Electric carry TECO VFD's and motors that aren't too expensive. At least I've had good luck with them. Lastly, watch mrpete222 on Youtube. He's a crusty old HS shop teacher and will teach you all you need to know to do most operations.
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 11-16-2016 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks guys. I have found a sweet South Bend 9A with loads of accessories for less that 2K.

I still struggle in my head with the idea of devoting a space to such a metal monster compared to the tiny space that a Chinese machine would take up and the distracting effect of having a new non-woodturning toy to take me away from woodturning.

Soon to decide...

Tom

The logans and south bends typically have babbit bearings. these will not take the long term rpms and the thrust bearings dont take the thrust load that is needed to keep the spur engaged with the workpeice. Atlas however used timken tapered bearings which are terrific for both load characteristics and can run for MANY years at high speed necessary for wood turning. Fourof these were the workhorses in my fathers woodturning shop for over 60 years! when he retired I returned 2 of them to original and sold them as metal lathes and kept two. Then built two replacements from scratch. these would be classified as a pattern makers type lathe today. I do have a SAG14. a LeBlond 20x120 and a tsugami chucker that have been used for wood as well on occasion.

13. I have an Atlas 10F. Made somewhere around war II or so. I have made all the metal parts for a rose engine, countless tool handles and other accessories for my wood lathe. I have the milling attachment for it. I also recently bought a mill Precision Mathews. Other are correct you will spend more on accessories for metal working then you do for wood working. Everything costs more. I love having both machines. I have found that I make more stuff for my neighbors then for me. I am retired so my labor is free. They provide the materials and I get to have all the fun. Doesn't get better then that.

Thanks Larry.

I've decide to pass on the SB 9A. I just don't have the space to devote to that nice beast.

I am seriously considering the Precision Mathews 10/22 lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by roger oldre View Post
    The logans and south bends typically have babbit bearings. these will not take the long term rpms

in general, there’s no issues with babbitts at high speed. There are many examples:
    - turbines
    - jet engines
    - turbo chargers

"The turbocharger shaft and turbine wheel assembly rotates at speeds up to 300,000 rpm. Turbocharger life should correspond to that of the engine, which could be 1,000,000 km for a commercial vehicle. “

- 130 year ld babbitt bearing wood lathes like mine.

Unless you are saying that SB lathes don’t have adequate lubrication...