Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disabled Veteran dreaming of affording a Laser engraver

I'm with Tim and Gary. My inventory is only slightly north of $1000. I am home based and I specialize in engraving services. I do not and have not made anything on speculation. I also specialize in commercial work as I dread retail customers. I started with a Universal laser and now use a Trotec. At least half of my business is from processes other than laser engraving.

A web site is essential to your success.

I second YouTube as a teacher. There is none better.

If you can't find anybody close to you and want to spend a day with me we can schedule that after the first of the year. I'm about 4 hours away.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Henry View Post
    ...how do you decide on price for your product...
    Check out the local market for similar prices. This will vary widely from market to market.

...how do you handle taxes and such?...
    Taxes - who pays taxes???? Actually I pay Ohio sales tax every 6 months. For Federal - The business goes on my individual tax return, even though I'm an LLC.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    My

People will buy things they need, because they need them.
    People will buy things they want, because they want them.

--Unless the need to buy something arises first...

If you market something people simply want, you'll have to search for customers.
    --Market something they need, the customers will search YOU out.
    Now I just need to find what they want that I can learn to supply.

Now I just need to find what they want that I can learn to supply.
    That is the challenge. When you figure it out though, you will be rewarded!

No Maker places closer than 2.5 - 3 hours from me, closest we have in Springfield is 417-DIY but that is automotive and machine shop stuff not Wood working, 3D printers, and Laser engraver like I need/desire.

My 2 cents
    If I was starting over today with a goal of bringing in additional income my first machine would be a CNC Router.
    My second machine would be a laser engraver.

It is so much easier to produce projects with a higher profit margin with a CNC Router then it is with a laser engraver, at least it has been for me. A CNC Router will make it much easier to afford a higher quality Laser when the time comes to purchase because of its income producing capability.

Honestly with the cost to purchase woodworking machines these days I would only have three primary machines:
    1. CNC Router (small CAMaster Stinger)
    2. Laser Engraver (Trotec Speedy 300)
    3. A very high end Band Saw

I have also considered contacting local car dealerships and the like to offer making Employee of the month or Salesman of the month/year type awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Check out the local market for similar prices. This will vary widely from market to market.

Taxes - who pays taxes???? Actually I pay Ohio sales tax every 6 months. For Federal - The business goes on my individual tax return, even though I'm an LLC.
    Yet another aspect to figure out Taxes, business license, how will it effect my VA disability and SSDI income.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I'm with Tim and Gary. My inventory is only slightly north of $1000. I am home based and I specialize in engraving services. I do not and have not made anything on speculation. I also specialize in commercial work as I dread retail customers. I started with a Universal laser and now use a Trotec. At least half of my business is from processes other than laser engraving.

A web site is essential to your success.

I second YouTube as a teacher. There is none better.

If you can't find anybody close to you and want to spend a day with me we can schedule that after the first of the year. I'm about 4 hours away.
    Thanks for the offer I might take you up on it. Going to look for local services that offer engraving and see what I can learn. I just want to keep myself busy have fun and make a little spending cash for trips, Maybe my first cruise or something. But also enough funds extra to pay operating costs like taxes equipment and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    My 2 cents
    If I was starting over today with a goal of bringing in additional income my first machine would be a CNC Router.
    My second machine would be a laser engraver.

It is so much easier to produce projects with a higher profit margin with a CNC Router then it is with a laser engraver, at least it has been for me. A CNC Router will make it much easier to afford a higher quality Laser when the time comes to purchase because of its income producing capability.

Honestly with the cost to purchase woodworking machines these days I would only have three primary machines:
    1. CNC Router (small CAMaster Stinger)
    2. Laser Engraver (Trotec Speedy 300)
    3. A very high end Band Saw
    I want a CNC eventually, I was thinking order of purchased items would be.
    1. wood shop tools Table saw, drill press, jointer, etc.
    2. Laser Engraver/cutter Epilog or Trotec or any that can etch in 256 greyscale or better
    3. 3D Printer Formlabs Form 2 resin based.
    4. CNC router mostly wood (cane a CNC do bother wood and metal)? If unlimited money I would wand a 5 axis CNC but that won't happen lol.

11. Edward, I was going to send you this over PM (and I'm still happy to converse that way too!) but some of this information might help others out there too so I'll make it public. My name is Lawrence Richards and I just started the a woodworking business here on Whidbey Island where I do CNC and laser work.

I was a woodworker who had made shadow boxes/flag cases/etc during my 20 years in the AF. I'm a service disabled vet and though I knew there was a path to assistance, 18 months ago I had no clue how to get on this path. I'm still working through a few of the "systems" but hope I can point you (and anyone in your situation) in the right direction. Some of this assistance is privately funded and some is publicly funded- I've used a combination of both to educate and prepare me for my business.

1. The Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities - this program CHANGED MY LIFE. It consists of a 30 day online course teaching the basics of starting a business, a 10 day in-house program (I went to UCONN school of business and they pay for airfare, food etc) where you get a little "mini MBA", and a one year mentorship program which included instruction and assistance in writing my business plan, elevator pitches etc. I cannot overstate how awesome this program is. It is available to post-911 service disabled Vets of all ranges of disability and more info can be found by googling "entrepreneurship bootcamp for veterans with disablilities"

2. The VA has a program called Vocational Rehabilitation which has a self employment track. I am in phase three of this track and have had some equipment/training etc provided to assist me in reducing my capital equipment purchases and leases. I HIGHLY encourage you to both attend EBV first and to contact me personally as it is a very tough program to get on and there are many pitfalls which would seem innocent but would exclude you from this track. (I almost messed up several times in the beginning but luckily have good mentors who helped me navigate the process) It's the VA though... so understand that this process is not quick (and that is an understatement) Google VA Vocational Rehabilitation to learn more.

3. There are other programs specifically set up to assist service-disabled-vets start and run businesses including specific centers run by the Small Business Administration for Veterans called VBOCs -They can be found in several locations around the US and google Veteran VBOC for more info.

Most importantly are the other entrepreneurs, businessowners, mentors and benefactors that want to help men and women start businesses. Some of these folks have specific groups of people that they tailor their assistance to and veterans are definitely one of these groups. This creates a network which I can only describe as more like the brotherhood I experienced in the military than anything I have seen since.

PM me and I'm happy to share what I can

Lawrence
    Last edited by Lawrence Richards; 11-17-2016 at 10:19 AM.

>>Yet another aspect to figure out Taxes, business license,<<

Your library will most likely have (or you can buy from Amazon) books from NOLO on starting a new business plus starting your own LLC. "Tax Savvy For Small Business" is where I would start and available in most libraries. Then read a couple of NOLO's books by Anthony Mancuso - "Form Your Own Limited Liability Company" and then maybe "Guide to Operating Your Limited Liability Company." Most all libraries have these (search carefully because there are a lot of similarly titled books by Mancuso). These are pretty fast to read and will get you up to speed. They update/reissue them almost every year. Not much changes but you will want to make an effort to get the most recent copy your library offers when searching the library catalog. With the knowledge in these books that you can borrow from the library for free, you should be able to get your business/LLC up and running correctly from a legal and accounting standpoint for very little money. As you grow you will probably need to seek the advice of an accountant but you will be very far ahead by having a good base of knowledge. This will also help keep your accounting and legal fees down since they don't need to start at ground zero on advising you.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 11-17-2016 at 10:24 AM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Richards View Post
    Edward, I was going to send you this over PM (and I'm still happy to converse that way too!) but some of this information might help others out there too so I'll make it public. My name is Lawrence Richards and I just started the a woodworking business here on Whidbey Island where I do CNC and laser work.

I was a woodworker who had made shadow boxes/flag cases/etc during my 20 years in the AF. I'm a service disabled vet and though I knew there was a path to assistance, 18 months ago I had no clue how to get on this path. I'm still working through a few of the "systems" but hope I can point you (and anyone in your situation) in the right direction. Some of this assistance is privately funded and some is publicly funded- I've used a combination of both to educate and prepare me for my business.

1. The Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities - this program CHANGED MY LIFE. It consists of a 30 day online course teaching the basics of starting a business, a 10 day in-house program (I went to UCONN school of business and they pay for airfare, food etc) where you get a little "mini MBA", and a one year mentorship program which included instruction and assistance in writing my business plan, elevator pitches etc. I cannot overstate how awesome this program is. It is available to post-911 service disabled Vets of all ranges of disability and more info can be found by googling "entrepreneurship bootcamp for veterans with disabilities"

2. The VA has a program called Vocational Rehabilitation which has a self employment track. I am in phase three of this track and have had some equipment/training etc provided to assist me in reducing my capital equipment purchases and leases. I HIGHLY encourage you to both attend EBV first and to contact me personally as it is a very tough program to get on and there are many pitfalls which would seem innocent but would exclude you from this track. (I almost messed up several times in the beginning but luckily have good mentors who helped me navigate the process) It's the VA though... so understand that this process is not quick (and that is an understatement) Google VA Vocational Rehabilitation to learn more.

3. There are other programs specifically set up to assist service-disabled-vets start and run businesses including specific centers run by the Small Business Administration for Veterans called VBOCs -They can be found in several locations around the US and google Veteran VBOC for more info.

Most importantly are the other entrepreneurs, business owners, mentors and benefactors that want to help men and women start businesses. Some of these folks have specific groups of people that they tailor their assistance to and veterans are definitely one of these groups. This creates a network which I can only describe as more like the brotherhood I experienced in the military than anything I have seen since.

PM me and I'm happy to share what I can

Lawrence
    Lawrence Thank you for this information it offers me a starting point. I do have a couple issues that may be a hindrance but I can contact them to find out. 1. I AM a 100% Disabled Veteran but only Service Connected NOT Combat related and I have found a lot of programs are Limited to Combat Veterans only (Found out when I was trying to Learn Scuba Diving), and 2. I have a Service Dog.

Any suggestions on CNC routers to look at? I seen 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and even 6 axis how do you determine what you need now or for future growth? wood cnc vs metal? I mainly desire wood working but can see a metal use for Telescope parts.
    I liked the Pocket CNC 5 axis demo I saw but it is limited in size what is a good size work surface for most Hobby tasks?