Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is a pencil sharpener a ww machine?

Is a pencil sharpener a ww machine?

Is a pencil sharpener a ww machine, sure it is! I think many of us use a pencil from time to time, do most of you have that all important ww shop tool, a pencil sharpener handy in your shop? I could use another one in my 2 story shop so I don't have to run the stairs when I want to dress the point. I'm feeling a little foolish not wanting to spring for a $15.00 Boston pencil sharpener after finding one for nearly $7,000. at that popular auction site on the web. I don't think I can post a direct link to this 1887 original Dixon (wood working tool) still in the box but if you like old iron you might be interested in item #6566055576. My search goes on.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Steve, we messed around with the cheap ones for too long. I broke my wife's electric one sharpening dowels... oops. Finally sprung for the real deal Boston. It reminds me of being in first grade every time I use it. Of course it's mounted in the shop. The kids hate having to take off their socks to sharpen their pencils, but those are the breaks!

Man, I wish I had enough money to buy a $7,000 pencil sharpener. I wouldn't buy the sharpener, but I wish I had the money. That's a pretty impressive pencil sharpener nonetheless. I think I'll stick with my 40-50 year old Apsco. It's another schoolhouse-style model very similar to the Dixon, and it sure does come in handy.

Which brings up a woodworking question: How do you prefer to sharpen a carpenter's pencil? Do you use a knife, a sander, or one of the little sharpeners made specifically for rectangular pencils? I've done it all three ways, but tend to go for the little sharpener most of the time.

- Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stube
    Is a pencil sharpener a ww machine, sure it is!
    I can see it now... new pencil sharpener gloats on the forum!

Mechanical Pencils.......

No need for pencil sharpener, always sharp, saves the tool budget.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    Steve, we messed around with the cheap ones for too long. I broke my wife's electric one sharpening dowels... oops. Finally sprung for the real deal Boston. It reminds me of being in first grade every time I use it. Of course it's mounted in the shop. The kids hate having to take off their socks to sharpen their pencils, but those are the breaks!
    Jason, why are kids going barefoot in your shop? I could understand them having to "put on boots", but "take off socks"?

And, getting back to the topic of this thread, my a pencil sharpener, an old one just like we used to have mounted in all the schoolrooms of my youth, is mounted in the relaxation corner of my shop.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 10-06-2005 at 7:50 AM.

I had to smile at this post...because I NEVER have a sharp pencil in the shop and I will get all set up to make a mark and ....no lead...put it down, stomp upstairs, I swear I bring down 10 a week and then they disappear.

Blog Entries
    I have a really cheap PS (Hey, if we're going to classify it as a ww tool we need to abrieveate it ) and HATE it. LOML won't let me take the good one from the house. It came from the 1st school she taught in and has sentimental value to her. I went to Office Depot to get a good one, and all they had were electric models. They said they would have to special order it! Man, times have changed!!!
    I have lots of mechanical pencils, but I still like the good old fashion ones better. I have no reason for this I just like them better.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Jason, why are kids going barfoot in your shop? I could understand them having to "put on boots", but "take off socks"?
    I was wonder the same thing. Jason, WE HAVE TO KNOW!!! why do the kids have take off their socks when entering your shop????? Maybe it's sorta like entering a shrine and you need to show respect by taking off your socks!!!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Get the left tilt model. You won't regret it!

After many years with a WalMart special,I finally sprung for the Boston.Sent the El Cheapo to to sharpener heaven,also known as the dump.

Yeah Jason my shop rule is shoes on!

Ahh the smell and feel of the Boston sharpener shapening a fresh #2. Things were so simple back then.... our parents took care of all the hard stuff.

what kind of pencils?

What kind of pencils would you sharpen with a $7k sharpener?
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

My pencil sharpener cost me about 25 cents. It's about 1" x 3/4" x 1/2" and rides around in my pants pocket so I am never without it. Often can't find a pencil to actually sharpen with it but that's another story. Why anyone would want anything more than one of those plastic sharpeners, especially one that has to be mounted, is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Charnley
    My pencil sharpener cost me about 25 cents. It's about 1" x 3/4" x 1/2" and rides around in my pants pocket so I am never without it. Often can't find a pencil to actually sharpen with it but that's another story. Why anyone would want anything more than one of those plastic sharpeners, especially one that has to be mounted, is beyond me.
    If it's mounted, I can find it.