Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stapling wire in finished walls

Stapling wire in finished walls

I don't think I can do anything about, so this is venting more than anything else, but has anyone else come across an inspector that says wires need to be stapled to studs, even when fished into finished walls? I'm no electrician, nor versed on the NEC, but from what I can tell finished cavities are exempt from the requirement to staple wires. I am adding some circuits to a garage and now have to cut and patch two additional holes per outlet. Starting to heavily consider going with surface mounted conduit, but I'll have to convince my wife first.

I don't have my code book in front of me (it's 10 miles away on my desk) but I'm reasonably certain that there is a specific exemption that allows for snaked wires to not be fastened where not accessible. Sounds like the inspector is trying to be the big fish...

For better or worse, the inspector gets the last word no matter what the book says. It's only drywall, and patches are easy. Not worth a fight.

4. I have no idea how you would that in a finished wall except to open up the wall and I seriously doubt any electrician would go through that trouble.

Blog Entries
    From a Canadian perspective, there is a specific exemption for cables fished in walls. An ispector can't go around making up rules on his own. He's got to follow the local codes just like everyone else. I'd go over his head on this one, if he won't listen to reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Delhommer Sr View Post
    I have no idea how you would that in a finished wall except to open up the wall and I seriously doubt any electrician would go through that trouble.
    They do if the inspector says they have to. The NEC code requirement is something to the effect of "and supporting is impractical". If the inspector says it's not impractical, it's not impractical, and the electrician gets to tear up the walls. The finished spaces exemption has limits, if you're doing substantial work, you may be pushing past what the inspector thinks is reasonable.

See the 2014 NEC article 334.30(B)(1)

(B) Unsupported Cables. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:
    (1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impracticable.

I dealt with an inspector like that. He got so many complaints about making his own code book that we got him fired!

Blog Entries
    Another reason to not call for an inspection when you know as much as the inspector and you know it is done safe and right.
    NOW you tell me...

Love these guys like home owners associations. I don't have either beyond what is required. +1 Ole
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I don't think I'm going to do much to complain about it. There are two electrical inspectors in my city (or village as its called), and both told me that I need to staple it to the studs. I'm going to try to price out conduit today or tomorrow and decide which is the better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Jensen View Post
    I don't think I'm going to do much to complain about it. There are two electrical inspectors in my city (or village as its called), and both told me that I need to staple it to the studs. I'm going to try to price out conduit today or tomorrow and decide which is the better option.

Not a pro here. Do they require stapling along the entire length or just close to the box? If they require stapling along the entire length do they have relatives in the drywall business specializing in repair & patching?

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Jensen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bridge View Post
    See the 2014 NEC article 334.30(B)(1)

(B) Unsupported Cables. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:
    (1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impracticable.
    Those inspectors must be illiterate, and if you were to tell them so they would deny it because their parents were married before they were born.

The boxes do need to have cable clamps, Romex® connectors, or other strain relief, used when NM cable is fished in the wall. A code citation from them would required IMHO, then the one quoted above needs to be brought out. The inspectors may be biased against any cable wiring method because the OP is in IL, & Chicago & it's suburbs do not allow NM cable to be used & speculating that they may have come from those areas where EMT is the predominate wiring method.

I just avoided the situation entirely by coming out of the bottom of the box and running horizontal through the wall. The top plate wasn't as accessible as I had thought, so I didn't want to mess with trying to run up and over. Only got 2 of the 3 planned circuits added, but its still much better than the 1 I had originally.

If I were just adding an outlet or a few outlets or switches, it would never even occur to me to tell anyone else I was doing so. That would serve no purpose and would be asking for trouble.