Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Best, the Worst, and still Undecided lathe tools

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    Interesting thread. This is quite the list John made. No wonder the cars won't fit in the garage er... shop. I made some observations about some of these tools and things in my shop.

Obviously JKJ and I both had too much time on our hands today. The doc benched me for a few hours after a procedure. As a side note, those new pills he gave me don't seem to have any effect at all.
    I had to build a new dedicated shop, 24x66. It is full.

I sometimes have extra time since I often sleep about 3 hours. At the moment I'm resting my tired back. Loaded, hauled, unloaded, carried and stacked 120 bales of hay yesterday. It was so much fun I went back for another 160 bales today, waiting out there for me to get up from this chair!

I'll read your comments when I get done, assuming I haven't passed out.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Things I wasted money on:
    Easywood Carbide tools
    Massive scrapers
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

JKJ
    I actually like my EasyWood tool. I agree with you that the Hunter feels much better to use (I turned a bowl with it after our discussion in another post...), has much better control, and leaves a nice surface, but the Easy Wood Ci1 is great for hogging wood out. If I didn't hate sharpening gouges, I might not be so fond of the EasyWood.

My worst tool was the PC profile sander. When I first started woodworking all I had was junk. HD had the sander on close out and I thought it was good chance to buy my first "good" tool Boy was I wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I have a Tool I do not like.
    I do not like it in my hand, I do not like it, Sam I Am.
    Oneway Termite is its label, I won't have it on my table.
    I don't like it at the lathe, I don't like it on the rest, I like it less than least, and less.
    I could not make it cut the wood, it cut not well, it cut not good.
    It clogged and clogged and clogged some more, I threw it on the cluttered floor.
    You can have it if you dare, I do not want it, do not care.

JKJ
    I actually find the Termite useful. The one thing I read once that made a real difference for me is to turn the speed down - I run it at under 800 RPM or so and it does OK. Just because you pull it out of the work piece and it has wood in the middle of it doesn't mean it's plugged. That doesn't mean it won't plug, just that it isn't always plugged when one thinks it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rozendaal View Post
    I actually find the Termite useful. The one thing I read once that made a real difference for me is to turn the speed down - I run it at under 800 RPM or so and it does OK. Just because you pull it out of the work piece and it has wood in the middle of it doesn't mean it's plugged. That doesn't mean it won't plug, just that it isn't always plugged when one thinks it might be.
    Tony, I played with it for a while and did discover what you said about the lower speed. I could work easier with other methods so I quit using it.

I want to keep the handle but do you want the bits? - I could stick them in the mail if you give me an address. I haven't looked at them in a decade but I think I know where I put them. I thought there were two sizes but it's been too long. I have the sharpening stone and jig too.

JKJ

Ha!

I finally got done with the hay and went after another load. Reading your comments actually woke me up as I was about to pass out from exhaustion.

I actually worked for Union Carbide when they operated the national lab and nuclear plants in Oak Ridge. A bunch of stuffed shirts, Hunter Carbide is more fun. And I did drill a hole in my hand about 30 years ago. I was holding something and meant to drill a shallow hole but it suddenly went deeper and through the wood. And through my finger and nail. It was a small bit but it didn't feel small at the time. (I learned what is now a mantra: Imagine where your hand would be if the wood suddenly disappeared. Appropriate also for saws, jointers, ...)

8-year-olds in the shop (well maybe younger, maybe older):

jjaden.jpg rollingpin_IMG_20131215_151212_287.jpg alex_drill.jpg alex_wand_IMG_20160118_1313.jpg WearsValley_03.jpg

JKJ

Jealous! I just found out my DVR upgrade, which I ordered in October and was supposed to arrive mid-December, is now pushed back to mid-January. Trying to be patient!!!
    USMC '97-'01

Best: Thompson tools.

Worst: Non-self centering chuck. Each jaw individually tightened....just don't.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Brickey View Post
    Worst: Non-self centering chuck. Each jaw individually tightened....just don't.
    Yikes, are those still available for wood lathes? The 4-jaw chucks with individual jaws are pretty useful for the metal lathe though, for precise work.

Also, I've never had one but I'm told the chucks that tighten with two rods can be a pain unless you have three hands.

It was back in 2003, when I first started so I hope they aren't still available. The double tommy bars for tightening are a close second. I have strongholds so don't have to worry about it anymore.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Somebody is holding out. There were two of those Pro-Vac's at Rockler and I only bought one. The odd thing is that it actually works and does hold an edge whereas the one I just bought doesn't hold an edge.

I must say however, I can't wait until the next newbie asks "What tools do I need"
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I`d have to say my worst purchase is a Henry Taylor fluted parting tool , I prefer a flat that is left by my regular parting tool, the fluted leaves a small bead which i find difficult to get a measurement on with my calipers. It`s not bad for parting off but really no better than my standard unit . What the heck, it was 25 yrs ago . Maybe I`ll mill the flute off and use it like that

My first chuck was a Nova with the tommy bars (circa 1986) I still use it and it has served me well, came with phosphorus bronze jaws thats how old it is . anyway I lock the spindle on my lathe and that allows me to use one bar to tighten. this has worked on two lathes maybe it will work for you.Cheers