Thread: Edge Treatment for Dining Table

Edge Treatment for Dining Table

Hello All,

I am in the middle of making a casual dining table and I am interested in your thoughts on edge treatments.

In my non-scientific review of dining tables I notice that many have a profile only on the the top edge, with the bottom edge remaining a simple 90 degree corner. I make a lot of coffee tables and my standard practice is to round over the top and bottom edges.

Is there a functional reason for not putting a profile on the bottom of dining tables or is it simply aesthetics?

Thanks - Frank

Commonly, the bottom may be beveled. This can be done to make table top appear thinner and lighter from certain angles.

(Sorry for the previous post, Frank. I misread and then misstated.)
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-16-2016 at 3:46 PM.

What's not true?

I have seen tables with the bottom profiled and not profiled. Trying to see if there is a functional reason for why some aren't profiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    It's not true. Profiles are done on the top and the bottom. Commonly, the bottom will be beveled. This can be done to make table top appear thinner and lighter from certain angles.

To me, edge treatment is entirely aesthetics. Aesthetics includes how it looks and how it feels. Half the time tables are not profiled on the bottom edge to save on cost. I attempt to approach each design with an open mind and edge profiling or otherwise is a part of the overall design process. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Thanks for the clarification. I really enjoy your contributions to the group.

I think there is a small functional advantage to easing the sharp edge on the bottom of the table top. Occasionally for whatever reason someone might reach under the top while seated at the table. Would be nice to not have that sharp edge to scrape against. I like simple round overs both top and bottom, if not a full bull nose.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

IMO a beveled bottom edge plus a simple 1/8" round over for the top would look best - IMO.

On dining tables and desks, I really like an ogee (without a fillet) on the top edge and a 1/8' roundover on the bottom.