Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
For those saying no TV don't discount the ability to watch an instructional video while actually working in the shop.
I haven't watched an hour of TV programming in over 10 years, in the house or anywhere, except for an occasional DVD. (Blu-Ray on a 60" screen, nice!) When my wife played back part of an interesting recording for me the other day (Christmas music from Berea College) I was surprised at how much of the time was taken by commercials. Pardon my ignorance, but are all shows like that? (She only watches recorded programs and skips through commercials.)

However, I do agree with you about having a screen in the shop: I put a screen in my office area, a separate room in my shop. It has no cable or antenna but it is has solid WiFi and a DVD player. Very handy for the reasons you mention, YouTube and how-to DVDs. I probably use it once every month or three. It seems like everything I buy these days comes with a DVD, even the ukulele I just got. Most product DVDs are not much more than worthless but I suppose they are useful for those who don't read manuals.

I play CDs or the radio in the shop sometimes but quietly. When a machine is running I can't hear it anyway so distraction is not an issue. But I do like quality sound, so it's Bose for me.

A friend of mine keeps music fairly loud in his shop and house during the day. His theory is it might make a potential burglar wonder if the buildings are occupied.

JKJ