Thread: Walnut

Walnut

Just completed my first self made piece of furniture ( used plans in a woodworking magazine that said it was easy to build--- I did not find it so ). The aprons are ash and the legs and top are walnut. Both woods have fairly large pores. I am planning Danish oil or perhaps 50/50 P&L #38 wiping varnish. My question is would most folks use a grain filler first -- or not. And if so what type of filler?
    Appreciate some wisdom.
    Thanks,
    Jake
    Donate blood. The gift of life.

Whether to use pore filler or not on such woods depends on the final look desired. Pore filling is a step along the way to a formal film finish. But for a Danish Oil, which gives an "in the wood" finish without a film, you wouldn't use a pore filler first, for several reasons. One is that the filler would seal too much of the wood so that the oil/varnish mix would not penetrate as it should. The pore filler should be covered with a film finish that doesn't need to penetrate.

On top of what Steve advised, if you are not sure just try with and without filler on some offcuts. As this is your first piece it might also help you to dial in the look that you want before starting on the furniture - there are also numerous videos on YouTube about grain filling if you want to see the before and after

I keep trying to post a reply to say thank you and yet I don't see it posted. Must be doing something wrong.
    Donate blood. The gift of life.