Thread: Leak in DC barrel....

Leak in DC barrel....

I have an Oneida 3HP Super Dust Gorilla with the fiber drum. Recently I installed a drum bin level sensor kit on it.

Currently I am finishing two raised panel doors for a couple linen closets at the end of our main hallway. I have a Norm Abrams deluxe router station I built and when routing the raised panel I suddenly noticed the cuttings weren't being pulled out of the cabinet.

Long story short, I had reduced suction. I blew out my filter twice and couldn't believe how much of the sanding dust was in the filter. Much more than I have ever seen. Then I looked at the barrel and noticed there was a ring of dust on the outside of the barrel around both of the connections where the metal top and bottom mount on the barrel. I purchased some silicon caulk.

I hope to seal it otherwise it's time to bite the bullet and order a metal replacement.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I have an Oneida 3HP Super Dust Gorilla with the fiber drum. ...
    I hope to seal it otherwise it's time to bite the bullet and order a metal replacement.
    Bummer. I have the 5-hp ClearVue and I use a heavy-gauge 30 gal trashcan with a 6" dia fitting added to the lid. I got a good seal around the lid with a ring of the heavy (self adhesive) gasket material ClearVue sells. I tested it with smoke and a fluffy feather and didn't see any air movement - I get almost nothing in the filters, so I think this seal works OK.

This is actually my second metal can. The metal of first one was too thin and the sides caved when I first turned things on! The metal was thin and the suction was strong. I ended up using an old can made from thicker metal. I have no idea if all the new cans are junk.

JKJ

A couple of questions...

Did you buy the Oneida bin level sensor or build one? I have not put one in yet as it seems like some have had problems with them.

Are you using a filter sensor? I put a Magnahelic gauge on my filter and it works well.

I hope you can seal that leak, but if not, move on to "new". The one unavoidable thing with a cyclone is that you can't have even the most innocent, tiny leak anywhere on the bin...and your filters will suffer for it as they get packed with material. And that's "no fun" to clean out. DAMHIKT!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a fiber barrel on my DC now and I'll keep an eye out for leaks. So far, no problems. I hope you can fix your leak so you don't have to go through a new barrel install.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Larry,

I bought my sensor from Oneida and it is working as advertised. I also put a ground wire as recommended from the metal top of the bin to the cyclone.

Mike,

It was interesting. On the outside of the barrel, about 1 1/2" from the top ring and the bottom ring of the fiber barrel, there was a ring of fine saw dust all the way around the barrel. It was surprising!

I have shop warmed up to 70º F as I am ready to pre finish the center panels for a couple raised paned doors I am making. Last night with a silicon caulk, I caulked all the obvious junctions of the fiber barrel and metal rings after cleaning them first. I am still trying to blow the canister filter clean. I work in spurts on blowing out the filter and use the method prescribed by Oneida.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 11-19-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    Ken

Is there an inexpensive smoke generator that I can use to see if I have either suction leaks or pressure leaks on my DC system? Maybe incense of some sort (never used it for any reason)? I just finished building my DC system and it probably needs leak checked give all the mods I had to do to get it all working.... Thanks. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    Is there an inexpensive smoke generator that I can use to see if I have either suction leaks or pressure leaks on my DC system? Maybe incense of some sort (never used it for any reason)? I just finished building my DC system and it probably needs leak checked give all the mods I had to do to get it all working.... Thanks. Randy
    I don't know about "inexpensive" but once I googled "smoke sticks" and got a bunch of appropriate hits.

JKJ

I've never used incense but I think it would work.

Walmart sells cans of smoke for testing smoke detectors.
    Ken