Thread: Refinishing table with grouted-in tile: how to protect grout from stain?

Refinishing table with grouted-in tile: how to protect grout from stain?

I am ready to stain this small table. It will be a reddish brown, oil based stain. The off-white grout is bound to pick up some stain. I have a hard time imagining that painter’s tape would really work for this. ThoughI am really careful, I think it’s bound to happen.

How can I seal the grout line?

I thought of using clear nail polish, which has no tint at all. But I don’t know if that will be dissolved by the eventual finish, which will be polyurethane, oil based.

Another option is clear acrylic medium, such as artists use.That is latex, and water based. That has advantages in that I have it in matte or semi-gloss, and is easy to apply and fast drying. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

This isn't going to be much help to you now, but I'd have applied stain and topcoat before I installed and grouted the tile.

Looks like the grout is below the surface of the wood? Try a penetrating waterproof grout sealer (most tile stores will sell it, Amazon will also have it). Use a thick pigment stain that doesn't penetrate the wood but sits on top of it (like General Finishes Gel stain) and migrate to the adjoining grout. Mask off the tile and the grout as best you can before staining and finishing. About the best I can think of

I an REfinishing it, presumably the maker finished the wood before grouting in the tile, it looks like that. Whatever they used on it - perhaps just an oil - did not resist any water. It became water spotted within the first months, even though I mopped up any spills right away. After years of looking at the brown rings on it, I decided to strip it and finish it with something better.

As you said, tape won't work. Apply the stain with a damp rag rather than dripping wet and work very carefully. If you do make a mistake, rake out the grout and redo it after you have finished polishing. This is actually my preferred option. Grout is cheap and easy. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

This is a good idea. Thanks! It's white grout too, so not like I need to match anything.

I might even think about taking the tile and grout out altogether. Refinish the table with ease and without worry. When reinstalling the tile - rather than using grout get yourself some sanded caulk (from a tile store). It's waterproof, flexible and easy to apply without scratching up your new finish and will secure the tile just as well without compromising the look. You would still need to let your fish cure hard so that you could mask it off before "grouting" whichever product you use.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    I might even think about taking the tile and grout out altogether. Refinish the table with ease and without worry. When reinstalling the tile - rather than using grout get yourself some sanded caulk (from a tile store). It's waterproof, flexible and easy to apply without scratching up your new finish and will secure the tile just as well without compromising the look. You would still need to let your fish cure hard so that you could mask it off before "grouting" whichever product you use.
    Linnea, from your other recent posts, you sound like someone who does good work and takes pride in it. I agree with Sam - take the tile out if at all practical. I think the ease of not having to work around it should offset the time to remove/replace it - IF it's feasible to do so.

Regardless, I'd love to see pictures when you've got it done, and to hear the technique you decided to use.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yes and cured "fish" is ever so good

No sense in editing as now it has reached "quote" status" Oh well, auto spell check strikes again.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge