Thread: Stripped table weeps from pores 2 days later

Stripped table weeps from pores 2 days later

Pic-11212016-001.jpg

I stripped the top of this small walnut table a couple of daysago. After stripping, it was rubbed down with mineral spirits. After a lightsanding today, it continues to weep something from the pores in one area. I wipe it, more comes out. I’ve left it alonenow for a few hours, with a folded paper towel topped with a piece of wood anda weight on the area, hoping I can wick it out.

I am ready to stain it. I only stripped the top, the rest isin good shape. So I will stain lightly until I feel the color is matched wellenough (allowing for the darkening effect of the varnish afterward). Whenstripping, what I removed was definitely colored reddish brown. It took manyapplications of stripper and after that, mineral spirits, before the rag stoppedcoming up brown.

But I hesitate to stain or varnish with it weeping likethis. Do I wait? What should I do? Thanks.

I would wait a bit longer. You have applied a lot of stripper and solvent so I am inclined to think this area just needs more time. I would also let air circulate rather than covering with anything absorbent. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.