Thread: What finish can I use over Red Mahongany stain?

What finish can I use over Red Mahongany stain?

I'm using red mahogany stain to stain a dining table and bench. I have this new type of poly, it's minwax triple thick, which I've used plenty of times and I am pleased with the results. However, on the label it says not to use it over red mahogany stains. I call minwax and they said it's because certain poly's will remove some of the red pigment in the stain if it's used. He said to use an oil based fast drying poly or an oil modified poly which is water based. I'm in a bit of a time crunch and because I can't use the triple thick poly, I have to do at least 3 separate coats of whatever I use unfortunately. My question is, can I do 1 coat of one of those poly's and then use the triple thick over that? It wont' be coming into contact with the stain because that other poly will be down. Of course I will sand between coats, but I thought this would be a good way to get around having to do 3 (or more) coats of poly. Will this work, or are there any other products I should use that would be better? Thanks!

If you spray over the stain with dewaxed shellac that will prevent the triple thick from pulling up the stain. If you don't have spray equipment, just get some rattle can spray shellac; it's dewaxed. Spray it on, don't sand, and you'll be ready to apply your varnish in an hour. Good luck.

John

Thanks! I have one of those spray cans of fast drying polyurethane....can I spray that on first and then go with the triple thick?

No idea. Make a test piece and see if the red pigment floats up. I'm pretty shellac won't if it's sprayed on.

John