Thread: Finish for Birch Ply Torsion Box Drawing Board

Finish for Birch Ply Torsion Box Drawing Board

Hello,

I have just completed making a Torsion Box Drawing Board - very close to the FWW plans for same. (had considered melamine but coudn't source the right sort) It is faced with birch ply and has beech edging. While a may purchase a vinyl drawing surface at some point for now I was wondering what forum users might recommend to finish it.

I have a very small workshop so I'm always conscious of possible spills so would like to waterproof it but I'm not sure what implications a glossy finish might have for laying paper / using compass etc.

What did you use / would you recommend?

Cheers

Paul, I've spent a lot of years working on drawing boards as a tool designer.
    Your best option for the top is a drawing board cover.
    It's a material made specifically for handling compass points and pencil impressions.
    Look-it-up on Amazon ... not much cost ... ideal solution.

Depends on what you want to use it for - if its a drawing board Sam is spot on. For laying drawings on, for glue ups or finishing then I would use a matt finish water based poly and maybe wax on top of that to ensure quick clean up of any stains. Gloss finish will cause the drawings to slide all over the show