Thread: Silly Shop Vac Question

Silly Shop Vac Question

Built a shop vac station tonight with a mini cyclone attached to home depot buck. Works like a charm and well worth the time spent. The silly thing is that when I use the vacuum with the wide floor attachment the darn thing squeaks and sticks as I move it across the concrete floor. Anyone know what I'm talking about and have a simple solution? I'm thinking of gluing a penny to each end and letting the pennies slide across the ground and remove the suction to floor issue. Told you it was a silly question.

My solution is to tip the attachment slightly, but I hope someone chimes in with a better answer.

I like the pennies idea...

I know what you're talking about, and it bugs me, too. I think my brush didn't do it until I sufficiently wore down the bristles. Maybe a new brush? Then again, I bought a new brush with really long (~1") bristles, and it can't pick anything up

Not sure which floor attachment you're using. I gave up on the all plastic versions and use a Ridgid floor brush.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2-...2514/100049833

Thanks for the ideas and comments. Russ, your picture reminds me of what I used to use and I think that's the answer. The attachment I'm using came with one of the vac's and now that I think about it, its probaby more for liquids than sawdust.

I got away from a shop vac years ago because I got tired of the filter clogging and the idea of cleaning it every time but the idea of a broom and dust pan, well, you know the story. I knew that a cyclone add on would solve the problem but never spent the three hours to make the setup. I am dedicating this long weekend to making a few shop upgrades and this was on the list. I want to become that guy that either starts the day in the shop with a clean darn floor or ends the day in the shop with a quick vac of the floor.

Still may try the "penny idea" though, what the heck.

I have a floor sweep with a molded plastic skid on each end to keep the sweep about 1/16" to 1/8" off the floor -- essentially identical to your idea of epoxying pennies vertically on each end (like stationary wheels).

Why not put a couple of skateboard roller bearings on the ends to let it roll along the floor instead of wear out the pennies and be back where you are now.

Steve

File a couple of 1/2 round holes in the leading edge of your floor tools using a rat tail file. Increase the size from about 3/8" dia, or add additional until you get the result you want. I just fixed one at work and it required 2 about 3/8" diameter.

Charley

I just wrapped a length of aluminum wire in the shape of an x around the head. Wire was 1/8 or so thick. Works great. dan

I screwed a fender washer to each end of mine. Forgot the size, but just big enough and high enough to keep the attachment from sucking to the floor.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Ellis View Post
    Not sure which floor attachment you're using. I gave up on the all plastic versions and use a Ridgid floor brush.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2-...2514/100049833
    +1

...a side benefit is that you can go from the floor to more delicate surfaces without changing attachments.
    - Mike

I just let it make a little noise. I usually have the muffs on since the shop vac isn't quiet. If I put it flat on the floor, it doesn't vacuum anything so I use it at a bit of an angle to the floor. I also use a dust deputy on my shop vac and also an auto on switch. I just added a 20 foot 2.5 inch hose from Home Depot for $20. The shop vac is in the middle along one long wall so now I can reach all over the shop without moving the vac.

I guess this wasn't such a silly question after all. Seems a lot of us dislike this issue. Thanks for all the comments and will implement one of the solutions tomorrow.

The only silly questions are the ones NOT ASKED!

Blog Entries
    I screwed little hardwood skis to mine so that there is always 1/4" gap.