Thread: I need help figuring out how to make this hinge

I need help figuring out how to make this hinge

I am trying to make a version of this cabinet for my fathers record collection for Christmas. This cabinet bin is really cool. I cannot figure out how to make this hinge. Mainly I am confused how it would not fall down when the cabinet bin is closed. They say on the website they use a dual pivot hinge. I have no idea what that means though. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

http://shop.symbolaudio.com/collecti...torage-cabinet

With just a casual glance, this looks a lot like the old clothes hamper my mother used to have. The door or front of the bin was just a flat panel that had a pin in each edge near the bottom, allowing the bin to tip outward. Some sort of horizontal member on the cabinet or box limited the amount of tilt. The clothes hamper bin was just a box mounted to the flat door panel. In your case, it looks like the box that holds the records would be open on one side, or with a partial height top to retain the records. I would think that the bin full of records would be somewhat heavy, so the bin/box/hinge arrangement would have to be designed accordingly.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about but I googled "dual pivot hinge" and this is one of the sites I found. Maybe it'll help.

http://metalmoulding.com/Full_Range_Pivot_Hinge.html
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Here's my guess... The records never move. The door opens and closes without the records moving. I think the door kinda slides underneath the rack full of records as it is opening. The two-link hinge which Joe cites could be a way to make the door move this way.

Here's a sketch of a possible opening mechanism, as seen from one end of the cabinet. The sketch has the door (in black) in both the open and the closed positions. It also has the upper link (red) in both positions, and the lower link (blue) in both positions. There are arrows showing the rotation of the two links as they go from closed to open. As it opens, the door pivots and slides under the records.

twolinkhinge.jpg