Thread: Turbine attic ventilators - cover them in winter?

Turbine attic ventilators - cover them in winter?

Is it common practice to put covers over the turbine type of (passive) attic ventilators in winter?

I find myself temporarily in charge of a house that has two such ventilators. In the mild climate of southern NM, I wonder if putting covers over the ventilators this winter is worthwhile.

the attic air should be close to ambient temperature all year round. You should not be covering your attic vents.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    the attic air should be close to ambient temperature all year round. You should not be covering your attic vents.
    That is my understanding, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Used to see that a lot around here, not any more. Not wanting moisture to accumulate in attic.

Our house was built with attic vents in each gable end. I cover my 3 turbine vents for the winter.
    There's not a lot of moisture in the air in NM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    The attic air should be close to ambient temperature all year round. You should not be covering your attic vents.
    I am another one who ascribes to this philosophy.

I know NM is low humidity but they are on the roof to ventilate. I'd vote not to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    I know NM is low humidity but they are on the roof to ventilate. I'd vote not to cover.
    Someone mentioned maintaining ambient attic temperature and that is the goal. Ambient air temp is easy to maintain in the winter, impossible to do in the summer. Some people have attic fans to move the hot air out. In my case, I added turbines to vent the excess hot air. The turbines add no benefit during the winter.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Years ago when we lived in Charleston SC, I added turbine vents to our roof and they made a tremendous difference in the summer. As I recall the literature that came with them recommended not covering them in the winter but many people did. One of the leading manufacturers has this note in their installation instructions.
    Capture.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute