Thread: Dedicated router for Liegh D4 dovetail jig

Dedicated router for Liegh D4 dovetail jig

I am seeking suggestions on a router to use just for dovetailing. I have a PC 693 mouted in my extention table with a router lift and a DeWalt 621 for mortising but would like a manueverable, quiet and stable router just to use with the D4. Suggestions?

I use my PC 690 for the D4.

I suggest a fixed base router to have a lower center of gravity. I use a DW618 with the fixed base for my D4, but any similar machine will do fine. If you tend to do mostly 1/2" dovetails (through and half-blind), you don't need a lot of extra power so you can get away with a very basic machine. If you do the more creative work with larger cutters, a 12-13 amp machine like the DW618, PC890, etc., would be a better choice. Frankly, I prefer the latter, more powerful machines since they offer soft-start and variable speed...that makes them more versatile should their "dedicated" nature be, umm...temporarily suspended...for that special project...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks... I do like my PC 690 but man it is loud. Even in an enclosed box unter my table extension (for perfect dust collection) it is piercing. The DeWalt is must quieter and I take it a 618 is close to the same as my 621 but a different base?

Skip, one of the things I really like about the DW618 is that it is noticably quieter than the older design routers. It's also extremely well balanced with the fixed (or D-handle) base. With the plunge base, the DW618 is very similar to the DW621! If you like the DW621, you will also like the DW618. The latter is just modular....and newer.
    --

I also like a fixed base router on my DT jig. I also like the style that requires 2 wrenches to tighten the collet. I've had some problems with the 8mm adaptor slipping unless the collet is very tight.

That's what I like about the P.C. Router the have a dedicated 8mm collet. Plus I like the snap ring that pushes the bit up as you the loosen the collet. BTW the noise shouldn't be a problem with any router you SHOULD be wearing hearing protection when you use ANY machinery or power tool.
    Last edited by Russ Massery; 10-07-2005 at 2:40 PM.

If you are going to use the 8mm cutters for the Leigh, having a "real" 8mm collet is a better solution than the adapter. I know it's available for the PC and suspect one could also find one for the DW, but don't know that for sure. I made the mistake of buying my Leigh cutter set with 1/4" shanks "way back when", so this is not an issue for me. I also have 8mm collets for my Festool routers in case I need to use the 8mm cutters that came with the jig.
    --

I use the Bosch 1617 evs with 8mm cutters. Bought an 8mm collet but don't remember offhand where I got it. Also bought Pat Warners clear bases with the cutouts for the PC type guides. Added the dust collection vacumn hose setup from Lee Valley which probably picks up 95%+ of the large quantity of chips generated.