Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forstner bit set

Blog Entries

Forstner bit set

Like many I have picked up a few here and there as needed. I've been looking at a 14pc Porter Cable set on Amazon, Any info on this particular set or brand?......

Nope, but I suggest saving your money and picking up one of the Lee Valley sets. I really like their bits!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Nope, but I suggest saving your money and picking up one of the Lee Valley sets. I really like their bits!
    I would buy Amana if I were younger. Just looking for a reasonable priced unit these days...

There are enough reviews to indicate they are a decent set of bits. I saw one review stated they came dull and unusable. The beauty of Amazon is it's very easy to return and get a replacement. Let us know what you decide and how you like them.

A couple of years ago I started replacing my conventional forstner bits with carbide forstners one at a time as I identified the ones I used the most. Hint: Don't get the really cheap ones. The Amana bits seem to be a good value.

I have a PC set. They are serviceable, but hardly first class. If I were buying, I'd settle for fewer sizes and go upscale on the quality. But it f you mostly work with easily machined woods, the PC bits will get you by.

After 75yrs I have concluded you get what you pay for.

Blog Entries
    At work I have good ones bought as needed. I would just to have an average set for the home shop.

At this point in life I don't want to be someone's "great auction find" when I'm gone...
    Last edited by jack duren; 11-27-2016 at 6:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    There are enough reviews to indicate they are a decent set of bits. I saw one review stated they came dull and unusable. The beauty of Amazon is it's very easy to return and get a replacement. Let us know what you decide and how you like them.
    What Amazon is that? I've read tons of reviews on Amazon where people said they got nowhere with returns.

I'd say it depends on how often you will use them. I worked in a very good shop that bought a cheap Taiwanese set because we did 18th century repro furniture and drilling holes was not something we did a lot of. I bought a $10 bit from Home Depot and drilled 5400 1-1/4" deep holes with it and it seems in pretty good shape despite the fact that I believe it falls in the cheap, Chinese made category.

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    I bought a $10 bit from Home Depot and drilled 5400 1-1/4" deep holes with it and it seems in pretty good shape despite the fact that I believe it falls in the cheap, Chinese made category.

5400holes!!!!
    That's a lot of time spent in front of a drill press. Must have been a memorable project for certain.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I bought a cheap set years ago. Put a note card in box, and each time I used a bit wrote it down. When I use any size more than three times in a year, I buy a Freud from local HD to replace it. This way you have an assortment of sizes available, and good ones that you use most. Best of both worlds.

Bought a Freud carbide set many years ago and it still cuts like it is new. I work mostly with hardwood and non carbide forstner bits dull quickly in hardwood. The Freud carbide set sells for around $150.

14. I got the HF set as I rarely use them, but they cut great and come in a nice case. I've done several Euro hinges and counter-bores for fasteners with them. IMO inexpensive tools that work well means I can afford more tools. I would buy better if I used them frequently - but I guarantee you the wood doesn't know or care if you're using a $20 set or a $200 set!

i am happy with a set from CMT bought at a local hardware. Price was not bad at $99 for a set of 16 metric sizes in a nice case. it looks to me like some of the CMT stuff on amazon may be fakes. The cases are different, and they get horrible reviews.

i don't see the set i own anywhere, they were bought about 3 years ago.