Thread: Went to a garage sale

Went to a garage sale

My mom dragged me to a garage sale today. Yeah, I hate those things. It's always old people and clothes. Found out the dad passed away and all his tools were sold before we got there. The lady said I could have whatever wood I wanted though. I ended up with a truck full. Everything from oak, walnut, maple, some ugly purple stuff, etc. She wouldn't take any money, so we hid $100 where we knew she'd find it and left. Man my arms are tired. There were a few 18"x9' oak boards of 8/4 in there. That stuff is heavy. Maybe those sales aren't a complete waste although I can't let me mom know haha.

Blog Entries
    Tool hunters are always the early birds. Especially those who do it to resale on ebay. They will watch all the public announcements and keep their ear to the ground to get in to get the goods.

Tools are almost always the first thing to go.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Macy View Post
    . Everything from oak, walnut, maple, some ugly purple stuff, etc.
    Hey Dave, this is a long shot, but if that "ugly purple stuff" is real wood and not something man-made, it might be Purpleheart. You may want to doublecheck, just to be sure, because Purpleheart is worth a little money.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks. Yeah, I used a small handplane, and it's definitely purpleheart. I know some folks like it but I just can't imagine using it

Dave, just keep in mind that there are lot of "old people" on this forum. Every time I go to a garage sale, estate sale, or auction, I remind myself that I will be in their shoes one day more than likely. Glad you made the donation and I'm sure you showed respect and thanked the woman profusely.

Nice score.

Pretty much anyone who goes to a garage sale is "old people"

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Pretty much anyone who goes to a garage sale is "old people"
    Not exactly - how about all the ones with kid/baby clothes? Plenty of young moms attend those. I know, we had one in the summer to get rid of some of our stuff.

And I'm 37 (wait, is that considered "old people"?) and I cruise CL for tool garage sales.

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just that most folks I see at those sales are older. I should probably stop while I'm behind haha.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Sorry. Didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just that most folks I see at those sales are older. I should probably stop while I'm behind haha.
    Dave, with some luck you'll get here too. All of us older folks remember being the young buck of the crowd.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks. Yeah, I used a small handplane, and it's definitely purpleheart. I know some folks like it but I just can't imagine using it
    I don't ordinarily use it, but did for our nightstands in the master bedroom. If you decide you don't want it, let me know privately and maybe we can work something out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...