Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley Cyber Monday- well that went fast

Blog Entries

Lee Valley Cyber Monday- well that went fast

So I now own almost every Wera screwdriver ever made. That was cool. I had said just yesterday that it was time to upgrade my screwdrivers. I had tried their electricians drivers and loved them. I had a small shoulder plane in my cart and I think 15 min into the sale it was sold out. In 30 minutes they went from 6 or 7 pages of stuff to only 2. Wow.

Well, if we have learned anything from this year's sale, it's that Veritas isn't screwing up much any more- not many blemishes on sale this year. :-)

Blog Entries
    Up early packing for a trip and logged in just to see what's left. Lo and behold, the small shoulder plane is back available. I bought it and it went to sold out again. Someone must have cancelled their order. Well I'm happy now. The one thing I was hoping for was a small or medium shoulder plane.

I was a little disappointed this year. For the first time ever, there wasnt a single thing I wanted on sale.
    (OK. So maybe I have been a little TOO addicted to their delightful tools over the last few years. )

Oh well, there's always turning accessories and tools......
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 11-28-2016 at 6:54 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Yes, pickings were slim this year, but what they had in the way of Veritas tools I already owned, and as my collection (read: addiction) grows, there will be less chance each year that something will come up that I don't already own. There were some good deals like the spokeshaves and the shooting plane. I'm glad they added the Wera drivers so there would be something left after the blemish tools sold out.

I really thought they would have a plough plane or two after the conversion to the new model.

Everything is on sale when you pick up a gift card. So I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Yes, pickings were slim this year, but what they had in the way of Veritas tools I already owned, and as my collection (read: addiction) grows, there will be less chance each year that something will come up that I don't already own. There were some good deals like the spokeshaves and the shooting plane. I'm glad they added the Wera drivers so there would be something left after the blemish tools sold out.

I really thought they would have a plough plane or two after the conversion to the new model.
    I too have NO clue what to get this year. Pretty much happy with my set of Veritas and LN

I went the gift card route, I don't spend money on tools very often and ther was nothing in my need category. Almost bought a dovetail and tenon saw but decided I would buy their offered set with a discounted gift card rather than 2 of the 3 saws individually. I was a little disappointed in the selection of tools but they offered some good deals, just not on anything I was looking for. Their spoke shaves are sweet but I already own a functional spoke shave (finicky, but functional) so that made dropping $70 on something I rarely use versus a set of chisels I am holding out to get either PM-V11 or Japanese.

Blog Entries
    I have a set of Wera screwdrivers hanging on the wall behind one of my benches. They get a lot of admiration and only occasional use.

At least they are just screwdrivers. I know of several woodworkers who own some fancy dovetail saws and planes who rarely do handwork. The high-end saws are pristine and the teeth are sharp...because they aren't used by any standard. The planes are well kept and again not much used at all.

Tool makers have done a great job in enticing people to own their tools with their beauty and use of materials (e.g. brass and exotic handles). The good handwork I have seen (and a lot of it) usually comes from those who use their tools a lot. The most well-known figure among them, of course, is Paul Sellers who uses mostly older tools.

As for the Cyber Monday sale, I woke up this morning and got a gift card plus a few regular items to justify the shipping cost. I need no more saws or planes and I only buy what I can put to use on a regular basis. I am not a tool collector no matter how tempting a good looking tool is. The gift card will come handy when I need to buy gifts -- not tools! -- during the next free shipping event.

Simon

Picked up a Record 20C at the TFWW "vintage" sale.

Didn't see anything I was lusting over badly enough to pull out the wallet that was still in the queue at LV although a couple of items did give me pause.

Learned my lesson from last year: don't buy tools you don't need because they are at a discount. Buy the gift card - the biggest one you can afford - and combine it with free shipping events for the times you DO need something.
    Then, sell what you bought because it turns out not to make you a better woodworker.
    Then kick yourself for not buying the tool you really need which was on sale at the Cyber Monday event.

Thanks for the reminder. Bought the dovetail saws for basically half price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Learned my lesson from last year: don't buy tools you don't need because they are at a discount. Buy the gift card - the biggest one you can afford - and combine it with free shipping events for the times you DO need something.
    Then, sell what you bought because it turns out not to make you a better woodworker.
    Then kick yourself for not buying the tool you really need which was on sale at the Cyber Monday event.
    The circle of life!

The Wera drivers were around 25% off. The gift cards are around 15% discount. If you were going to buy screwdrivers anyway, it's a better deal. If you really did not see anything you wanted, then the gift cards are a good deal. I came close to buying the $850 gift card, but I value my marriage.

I picked up just some odds and ends. Wish I could have gotten the Wera ratchet set. It not in the budget. Their screwdrivers are my most used and they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. Bought the dovetail saws for basically half price.
    You WHAT? Those things are already a steal at $69 imo...