I got this email :
    Greetings,

Do you laser engrave sunglasses?

I would need 30 units engraved.

What would be an average cost per unit?

Thank you,

Al Guevara

P.s.

The engraving would simply be "A.G.G. Official (tm)" on one lense only.

after several back and forth emails I asked for some sample len's to test for him. Haven't heard back/ Also the amount from the original 30 kept going up to a possible 100,000 units. Has anyone else got this from this guy???
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Might be legit. The 100k units is a ploy to see how low you'll go. Because honestly, if anyone ever needs 100,000 lenses with words, 1 lens mold can be fabbed with the words in it, making the marking cost effectlively zero...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I know you know this but I'll say it for the sake of others...

Base your pricing on what they are actually having you engrave, not some "pie in the sky" dream number. Chances are about .000001% that you will ever see the larger number, no matter what that number is. Along the same lines - if they ask for 100 piece pricing, I always give a 1-50 and 51-99 that is reasonable for those quantities, as well as their 100 piece price. Chances are about 99.999% that they will bring in 10 pieces and want the 100 piece price and if you don't have your bases covered then they will complain about the price... None of this has ever happened to me but I have heard of it happening to others.

Thanks guys Like I said I haven't heard back since I asked for test Pieces . To be honest I would only take on small 100 piece or less if this guy really wants more like 500 to a 1000 or more I'm not equipped to do that and not interested in working full time. But it would be nice to have a few small paying jobs since you all know what I do. But my laser is getting close to needing a tube and I really can't afford to buy one right now so if this guy is legit it would be nice.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I would ask for his address and business name you need for pricing. I get those from time to time and when I ask those two questions you never usually here from them again. So is this off your website or how did they get your email address?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I asked him that and he said he was searching for engravers in AZ. He does have a website but I don't think its his. It a site for sunglasses. It sounds like he buys generic sunglasses then puts his logo on them and resells. He says he has permission to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I would ask for his address and business name you need for pricing. I get those from time to time and when I ask those two questions you never usually here from them again. So is this off your website or how did they get your email address?
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Might be legit. The 100k units is a ploy to see how low you'll go. Because honestly, if anyone ever needs 100,000 lenses with words, 1 lens mold can be fabbed with the words in it, making the marking cost effectlively zero...
    +1K times! I'd give him the small pricing and forget about it until he walks or mails something in.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

"I have permission to do this"... uh huh...

I've went down the 'I need some Made In USA' labels road once.

Once.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Bert,

No experience with this at all. But I have to admit, one of my eyebrows went up a serious distance when I read your description of what they wanted.

But...I noticed you said you are close to needing a new tube? Really? You haven't had that puppy that long? My EFR is rated for 10,000 hours if the gods shine down on me and the creek don't rise. That would give me roughly 3.5 years of 8 hr/day x 7 days a week use?

If you replace it can you go to an EFR tube? They are rated to have a longer life if you stick with their power ratings. Just at thought. You must be lasing like a mad fiend! Do the neighbors complain about the constant eerie glow from your garage? <grin>
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Dave this is over 2 years all ready I know seems like I got it yesterday. I might be premature in thinking I need a tube but it is loosing some power. I was cutting 1/8 BB at 65 % pwer 10 spd now I need 70 to 75% power. But still working good.also could be other things like dirty mirrors or lens which I haven't cleaned in a while so will get to checking that soon. Don't think the neighbors can see my house so the glow should not bother them as much as their 6 dogs barking all day bothers me
    Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Bert,

No experience with this at all. But I have to admit, one of my eyebrows went up a serious distance when I read your description of what they wanted.

But...I noticed you said you are close to needing a new tube? Really? You haven't had that puppy that long? My EFR is rated for 10,000 hours if the gods shine down on me and the creek don't rise. That would give me roughly 3.5 years of 8 hr/day x 7 days a week use?

If you replace it can you go to an EFR tube? They are rated to have a longer life if you stick with their power ratings. Just at thought. You must be lasing like a mad fiend! Do the neighbors complain about the constant eerie glow from your garage? <grin>
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Bert, did I ever mention I have no sense of time? BTW. Has anyone heard if Reagan is running for a second term? <grin>
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

YES I AM DAVE
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote David Somers - who said

"Bert,

Hi Dave
    Just to throw something else into the perennial tube life conversational mix - I got my new machine with a 100 watt EFR ZN 1450 tube and after about a year of use noticed a definite decline in power, I run a chiller with water temps at a fairly constant 18- 21 C and have never had the milliamp meter over 28ma.
    After another 3 months it was down so low that I could hardly even mark paper - let alone cut it. My software timer shows the tube had about 100 hours of light -on time.
    Contacted EFR and explained all that and they came back and said "Sorry but you are out of warranty period (10 months)" - which I expected... What I did not expect is that when I asked how much a replacement would cost, I was told that they now only sell tubes 6 at a time of the same type, so I need to go through my laser supplier to get a replacement!
    I had only last year ordered and received from EFR a 60 watt replacement tube and it is a disappointment that they have put in place this restrictive practice and it certainly poses a problem for any individual who needs a replacement- I have asked them why they have done this but gotten no reply?!? I know that RECI had a similar 5 tube policy some years ago but they still at least offered you the chance to buy a single tube at a (considerably) higher price.
    For a point of reference my laser supplier has quoted me $670.00 for the EFR ZS 1450 plus about $400 Courier cost.
    Just FWIW.
    Last edited by Bill Carruthers; 11-29-2016 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Wrong thread excuse!
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

Bill I think your in the wrong Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carruthers View Post
    Hi Dave
    Just to throw something else into the perennial tube life conversational mix - I got my new machine with a 100 watt EFR ZN 1450 tube and after about a year of use noticed a definite decline in power, I run a chiller with water temps at a fairly constant 18- 21 C and have never had the milliamp meter over 28ma.
    After another 3 months it was down so low that I could hardly even mark paper - let alone cut it. My software timer shows the tube had about 100 hours of light -on time.
    Contacted EFR and explained all that and they came back and said "Sorry but you are out of warranty period (10 months)" - which I expected... What I did not expect is that when I asked how much a replacement would cost, I was told that they now only sell tubes 6 at a time of the same type, so I need to go through my laser supplier to get a replacement!
    I had only last year ordered and received from EFR a 60 watt replacement tube and it is a disappointment that they have put in place this restrictive practice and it certainly poses a problem for any individual who needs a replacement- I have asked them why they have done this but gotten no reply?!? I know that RECI had a similar 5 tube policy some years ago but they still at least offered you the chance to buy a single tube at a (considerably) higher price.
    For a point of reference my laser supplier has quoted me $670.00 for the EFR ZS 1450 plus about $400 Courier cost.
    Just FWIW.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

What portion are you engraving? I have seen wooden frame ones.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!