Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segmented Bowls

Segmented Bowls

When gluing rings together, they slip when clamping pressure is applied. Does anyone know of a method to prevent such slippage? I currently give the glue a few minutes to set up/grab and that greatly reduces the movement between the two rings. I would like to be able to glue up several rings simultaneously rather than only two at a time.

Hey Logan .... I think letting the glue set a bit before really clamping it tight is a big help, I also use my lathe with a Jumbo Jaw to hold the pressure. Lot of times clamps seem to want to push and pull a piece around when the glue is still very fresh.

I rarely do more than 1 ring at a time unless I have 2 that are already glued together and dry.

I use a homemade press clamp and make pencil marks in four places where four of the points of the upper ring should roughly be. I put light pressure on the ring until the glue starts to get tacky and then clamp down. Give it 5-10 minutes and move onto the next one.

Some people use hot glue littlee blocks that they set while dry-fitting two rings together, pull the upper ring out, apply glue and put it back. That always seemed like too much work to me so I have never done it. Another option is to glue on the lathe using a cone on the tailstock. This works well but obviously ties the lathe up.

Use some fine sand...this usually keeps pieces from skipping.

Interesting suggestion Greg, would you mind elaborating a bit for me ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg McClurg View Post
    Use some fine sand...this usually keeps pieces from skipping.

I use coarse salt on most glue joints that would have the tendency to slip. Worked for me for years. Dan

I glue popsicle stick pieces to the ring that I am mating to. I place the "new"ring onto the piece dry, and hot melt popsicle stick pieces in four places against the rim of the ring to be glued. Then, I remove the ring, add glue and place it back inside the popsicle sticks, the clamp. It can't move as the popsicle sticks hold it in place.

Since the explanation my be more confusing than explaining, you can see what I am talking about on http://www.dennyedwards.com. I just copied his method.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Learn something new everyday ...
    Quote Originally Posted by dan petroski View Post
    I use coarse salt on most glue joints that would have the tendency to slip. Worked for me for years. Dan

I use a press clamp,I put glue on both rings,then arrange together,then I hot glue little blocks at 3-4 points around the edge, then press.Nothing slips when press clamping.

Tim,

It would do the same thing as the salt. Just a little bit of fine sand will keep the pieces from slipping as you clamp it. You won't need very much.

Yes just a few grains and sand should work fine too Dan

I glue 2 blocks at a time by rubbing and hand pressure. It takes about 3 days to glue up a ring but I cut everything at once so after the 3 days I get 3 to 4 rings done.
    Don

Keep your glue gun hot and ready - I just align the rings with no pressure, hold with fingers while placing a drop of hot melt on the exterior of two rings in 3-4 places around the rings. After a few seconds, I use clamps or a press (depending upon situation) to apply pressure - The hot melt is strong enough to resist lateral or rotary slippage, but soft enough not to prevent the edges from compressing.

Thanks to all. I'm going to try John's tip of putting a drop of hot melt around the edges.

I just glued five rings at the same time using John's suggestion of using hot melt glue. Works Great! Many thanks.