Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have too many toys

Blog Entries
    I find that I too don't have anything I can even put on my Christmas list. I keep thinking I would like to ditch my old 6" Sears King Seeley jointer for a nice 8 incher, but don't really have the room and frankly, 90% of my use is for edge jointing which i could do with a 2 incher, if they made them.
    NOW you tell me...

yes I am running into that problem after having 2-3 duplicates of everything...
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I just checked the new Woodcraft December sales brochure.

I could not find anything I need or want.

I'm somewhat in that camp, sales don't interest me and there are rarely things on used market I am after.
    The only things I might upgrade is my ICS sawstop into a slider/shaper combo. That would be mainly an upgrade to my shaper and I hope an upgrade to my saw as well.

I have been in this camp for a while too. In fact, ended up purging some large tools taking too much space, such as a very nice Jet oscillating drum sander.

If you can't find anything you need or want at Woodcraft (although I don't understand what "need" has to do with anything), it just means you are looking in the wrong place. It also means YOU LOSE! :-)

Wayne

Buy some clamps. I''ll bet you will use them someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jolly View Post
    If you can't find anything you need or want at Woodcraft (although I don't understand what "need" has to do with anything), it just means you are looking in the wrong place. It also means YOU LOSE! :-)

Wayne
    Honestly, about a year ago a fellow that came to see my MiniMax gear (many of us with MM or Felder gear do "personal showroom duty" for prospective customers) gave me a gift card for Woodcraft in appreciation of my time. (it wasn't necessary for sure, but he did and I was appreciative) So the next time I had the opportunity to be in an area where there was a Woodcraft store, I stopped in to browse and see what I could buy with that card. I wandered for nearly an hour before finding a Nakiri knife kit (I also cook...) and some other small doo-dad...I think it was a package of 1" 23 gage pins from Grex. There just wasn't anything they had that I wanted or needed, although I could have bought some Festool abrasives or something, not that I needed any at the time. Need and want are kinda related...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I live about 20 min. from a Woodcraft store. Have not been there in a few years. Last time there was to check out the new store they opened. I see they have just moved again.
    Go back about 20 years and I would have been there once a week.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have too many toys
    Said no one ever.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I never refer to tools as toys. It ain't cool, it demeans the equipment and the activity. I have equipment, tools, and materials. Sorry if that's a buzz kill.

I just checked the new Woodcraft December sales brochure.

I could not find anything I need or want.
    Same here. I have all the tools I need at the moment. I don't collect tools, I use them. If I don't actively need a new tool, I don't buy any. I can't remember the last time I actually bought anything major outside of consumables or in an emergency for some small handtool.

Clearly the solution is to give away your oldest tools to young wood workers in need, then go buy some new gear to replace it.

I think it is just a matter of picking the right next project...