I am preparing to face glue a LOT of 12' long strips and pieces of wood to make a butcher block island top. Since the project is so large, I'm gluing up the top in 2 phases. 28" wide by 12' long in phase 1 and then phase 2 will be 30" wide by 12' long. Some wood had to be "spliced" to make the boards long enough to make the length span. My issue right now is that I've done a dry run of how long it will take me at 2 other people to glue up, shuffle boards, put face-to-face, put on cauls, put on clamps, and tighten up the cauls, adjust the pieces to line up flush on the top and finally clamp up for the glue to set.
This island top is to be used as a built in cutting board....so this limits my adhesive choices...right? I've thought about plastic resin glue since it has a longer open time, as compared to Titebond 3 which is about 10 minutes. The dry run I did last night puts me about the 12 minute mark for applying glue all the way to clamped up and let set to cure.

What about if I wet both wood faces before applying glue? Will that slow the glue long enough to buy me just a few more minutes before tack?

What are your thoughts and experiences on large glue ups like this?