Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tight-grained species options?

If you can find pieces large enough for your project, dogwood will fit your requirements; domestic, tight-grained.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Alder is often used in cabinets as a lower cost substitute for cherry. I have no idea how it turns or if it is availble in turning blanks.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Alder is a great imitator. Around here, it is more expensive than poplar even though it is the native, and poplar is not. Before MDF came around, poplar was the go to paint grade trim for houses.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kieve View Post
    If you can find pieces large enough for your project, dogwood will fit your requirements; domestic, tight-grained.
    I have on occasion found big dogwood but most is small diameter, 6-8 inches. The largest came from yard trees. Second largest from the edges of fields. In the woods they are usually skinny. I suspect it is the amount of light the tree gets and the competition for moisture and nutrients.

A neighbor gave me one big enough to cut a 12" wide board from the center. That was highly unusual, at least around here. I think I mentioned earlier that dogwood is one of my favorite woods for turning. I have a bunch drying, some since 2006.

JKJ

Birch ?????
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!