Thread: New Columbus, OH area woodworker

New Columbus, OH area woodworker

I have just learned that I will be moving from Lincoln, NE to Marysville, OH and wanted to get some input from those that live in the area what kind of woodworking related places are nearby. Right now I only have one local WW store and it's selection is pretty limited. I'd also like to hear about any good local lumber dealer's as the wood is pretty sparse out here on the plains.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Billups
    I have just learned that I will be moving from Lincoln, NE to Marysville, OH and wanted to get some input from those that live in the area what kind of woodworking related places are nearby. Right now I only have one local WW store and it's selection is pretty limited. I'd also like to hear about any good local lumber dealer's as the wood is pretty sparse out here on the plains.

Thanks,
    Wes Billups
    I am in Cincinnati. There are a few wood stores your way...Woodcraft and I think a Rockler. In this area(about 1 1/2 HR drive for you) there is also a Paxton Wood store and large tool dealer called Muller. As far as lumber goes, not sure whats up your way. I sel lumber all the time....

I do belive there is a lumber dealer in Western Indiana...I think it is Millers.

Welcome to the State.

Welcome to Ohio. Like Donnie I live in Cincinnati. Donnie mentiond Miller something in his post, thier name is Frank Miller Lumber and they are about 2 hours west of you in Union City, IN they specialize in quartesawn lumber. They sell some real nice lumber, they will also deliver to that area.

http://www.frankmiller.com/
    Last edited by John Branam; 10-07-2005 at 1:45 PM.

Not to hijack the thread, but the BEST thing to look forward in those parts is SKYLINE CHILI!

Man, how I miss the chili! We lived in Dillonvale(Deer Park) for 7 years, and have recently moved here to Minnesota. I miss our friends, the area etc, but I haven't gotten over the yearning for that crazy chili!

I was walking through Super Wal-Mart the other day and there it was, in the frozen food aisle! I couldn't believe it! I was so afraid they might not sell it and stop stocking it, I bought all they had.......25 boxes. The best part? My wife told me, "Great score hon!"

God I love that woman..............

Best,
    Russell
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

Hi Wes,

I live in Zanesville, about 50 miles east of Columbus. There is a Woodcraft on the west side of Columbus. There is a Rockler store just east of downtown. And there is a store called Woodwerks on the far east side that also carries some Rockler merchandise. I frequent Woodwerks because it is closest, but it is also the best IMHO. They carry Delta, Jet, General, Powermatic, and Shopfox machines. They have dust collection, hand tools, router bits, wood(including exotics), hardwood plywood, and just about every accessory you could want.

No, I am not affilliated.

Welcome to Ohio.

Ron Robinson

Welcome to the buckeye state.I live about 200 mi.NE of Columbus.I go to the Hartville Tool store in Hartville.A great place to go.They carry most of the major brands of tools,power and hand.Hartville is located just NE of Canton,OH.It would be about a 100 mi.trip for you.I buy my hard wood,mostly oak in Middlefield OH.in Amish country.That would be a long trip from Columbus.Hartville also has a woodstore located behind their tool store,and I am sure there are other places in that area to buy wood reasonable.There are a lot of Amish around Hartville too.I am right up in the NE corner right on Lake Erie in a little burg called North Kingsville.Good luck with your move.

I live in Northern Ky and frequently use Willis Lumber in Washington Courthouse Oh, www.willislumber.com they have a nice selection and deliver free in Oh I think.Just not across the river where I am. Go figure.
    Chuck

Welcome to Columbus or Marysville as it were, Woodcraft is closest and the Rockler store has closed it's Bexley location and combined with Woodwerks. As far as a list of lumber dealers here goes. I have not had a chance to make any serious projects I do mostly home improvement stuff right now but this list I recently complied. Good luck Jay

Fifth Avenue Lumber
    479 E 5th Avenue
    Columbus, OH 43201
    (614) 294-4623

Linworth Lumber Company
    2310 W Dublin Granville
    Worthington, OH 43085
    (614) 885-9543

Wood Werks Supply, Inc.
    1181 Claycraft Road
    Columbus, Ohio 43230
    Toll-Free: (800) 860.9375
    Phone: (614) 575.2400
    Fax: (614) 575.2882
    http://www.woodwerks.com/

SUTHERLANDS
    North Store
    575 N. Nelson Rd.
    Columbus, OH 43219
    Telephone: (614) 253-8686
    Fax: (614) 253-1350
    http://www.sutherlands.com/ohio.htm

For lumber there is:

willis lumber

and

Almendinger Sawmill
    5501 Caswell Road, Johnstown, OH 43031
    (740) 967-2222

don't forget woodfinder too.

Steve's Hardwoods is at:

2477 Mt. Zion Road
    Bucyrus Oh 44820.

Welcome to the new Buckeye!

I'll second Hartville Tool. And make sure to grab a bite to eat at the Mnenonite restaurant nearby. There are several Amish communities in the middle of the state east of interstate 71 (around Millersburg and Berlin). You will find excellent woodworkers in these communities if you ask around. Much of their work is done without benefit of electricity. An interesting lifestyle. And where there are Amish, you will generally find a sawmill.

Columbus used to have a tool show every January but I don't recall whether it has been held the last couple of years. You can find just about anything you would want in Columbus, Cleveland, or Cincinnati. I'm sure there are local sawmills around Marysville.

Going to work for Honda or the State of Ohio? Both have large facilities in Marysville. Good luck with the move! The weather should be similar to Lincoln, perhaps a bit milder.

GO BUCKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hans
    I live in Northern Ky and frequently use Willis Lumber in Washington Courthouse Oh, www.willislumber.com they have a nice selection and deliver free in Oh I think.Just not across the river where I am. Go figure.
    Chuck
    Get outta here! I lived in Independence on Harris Pike, about a 1/2 mile down from Whites Tower Elementary. We were there in '97 & '98 before moving into Ft. Thomas. Last year we relocated to Phoenix. What I wouldn't do for a nice 70 degree Kentucky fall day right now!

Mike

You're in for a treat. There's a bunch of sawmills in eastern & southeastern Indiana. While I lived in the Cincinnati area, I bought mainly from a small mill named Wilhelm lumber - about 30 minutes west of Cincinnati on the way to Indy. It wasn't actually in Batesville, but it was right next door. Boy, did I get spoiled. Their quality, selection and pricing on the normal stuff was much better than what I've been able to find here in PHX, not to mention the service.

On occasion I would buy some stuff at Hyde Park Lumber in Cinci (not actually in the Hyde Park district), when I couldn't find it elsewhere - like redwood.

welcome

wes- you'll find more good lumber around there than you know what to do with. as others have posted, there are lots of amish in these parts, and many sawmills. you'll find more black walnut, cherry, oaks and poplar than you know what to do with. highly recommend you look north toward kenton (rt 31) or marion (rt 4) ... both roads run into amish country, and there are many little sawmills out there. much closer than some of the other places mentioned already - you're easily within 30 miles of good (and reasonably priced) lumber.

there'a woodcraft west of I270 (west side beltway) on Fishinger Road. it's about half a mile west on the north side. if you go the other way (east) you'll find one of those Skyline joints on the south side of the road.

welcome to real football country.

b (who doesn't get in here much anymore)

Mike, it's a small world. I live in Independence, off Bristow road and I am very familiar with where you previously lived. I'll take in the fall color for you and enjoy the fall days. I'm sure it's nice in your area also. You just won't have the green hills to rest your eyes against, come on back!
    Chuck