Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quiet Dust Collector questions - V3000

Perhaps you should look for someone local who has a bandmill. Personally, have been sawing my logs live edge, at 4/4 and 5/4. Have a nice stack of wide walnut.
    My cyclone is 3hp, and in my store room. Really keeps the noise down. Venting outside also tends to send the noise outside. Surprised at how little heat it sends out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    If you guys do end up going with Oneida, remember to not be tempted and skip their Dust Level Bin Sensor and Filter Efficiency Gauge. I posted how to build your own with the exact same parts Onieda uses HERE and HERE for much less! And there is discussion on how to improve upon them.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    I've been amazed how clean you can keep that carpet with just a festool shop vac.

I'll be interested in hearing your experience; my bandsaw saws well, but the dust collection is a bit underwhelming.
    Did you give any thought to the Felder RL-series?

Matt
    I looked at saws, oh man did I look at saws! Ultimately MM seemed to have it all for me and not too insanely priced. A lot of the big saws have the table size but not the resaw. That seemed the case with all of the industrial saws less MM and laguna. Given the close pricing I decided on MM since they have a very positive reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Perhaps you should look for someone local who has a bandmill. Personally, have been sawing my logs live edge, at 4/4 and 5/4. Have a nice stack of wide walnut.
    My cyclone is 3hp, and in my store room. Really keeps the noise down. Venting outside also tends to send the noise outside. Surprised at how little heat it sends out.
    One sawmill near me cuts it on rare occasion. I buy most of it and none is near wide enough for a cabinet. I need to start with 20"~ wide stock to cut two straight lines and yield 18.5". No one cuts walnut that wide in 4/4. I can't see buying full logs for a couple wide boards near the center nor do I have the capacity to store tons of material.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I just put my V-3000 together yesterday and am doing the ductwork today. I'm surprised at how quiet it is. It might be quieter than the Jet 2hp bag that it's replacing, or at least a less annoying pitch.

I'll use an app on the phone to try and compare the two decibel ratings.

Mine is amazingly quiet in my 2 car garage. I can carry on a normal conversation with it running. The tone of the sound is a lower pitch which helps I think. Maybe a little louder than my powermatic table saw running but a different sound that changes very little regardless of what gates I open or close. I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Mine is amazingly quiet in my 2 car garage. I can carry on a normal conversation with it running. The tone of the sound is a lower pitch which helps I think. Maybe a little louder than my powermatic table saw running but a different sound that changes very little regardless of what gates I open or close. I love mine.
    Same here.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I guess it's a matter of perspective, I think it's rather loud. I'm in the process of getting my v3000 hooked up. I measure 83-85 db at 10ft. I didn't use the stand that comes with the unit because I wanted to save floor space, so I have the collector attached to a corner wall. I didn't use any isolators between the wall and the bracket and maybe that's why I'm louder than the claimed 73 db, but I don't think so the unit is rock solid and the noise certainly just sounds like moving air. I'm going to investigate exhausting outside using insulated flexible hvac material to see how much lower I can get. I would be interested in what actual numbers others with this unit are getting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dennis davidson View Post
    I guess it's a matter of perspective, I think it's rather loud. I'm in the process of getting my v3000 hooked up. I measure 83-85 db at 10ft. I didn't use the stand that comes with the unit because I wanted to save floor space, so I have the collector attached to a corner wall. I didn't use any isolators between the wall and the bracket and maybe that's why I'm louder than the claimed 73 db, but I don't think so the unit is rock solid and the noise certainly just sounds like moving air. I'm going to investigate exhausting outside using insulated flexible hvac material to see how much lower I can get. I would be interested in what actual numbers others with this unit are getting.
    Man, being that you have that up so high I would have done the 55 gallon drum!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Dennis, I know from reading the Clearvue forum that a number of people have just used sound isolating material around the exhaust into the filter (which is where the Oneida baffle is I believe). As you state, most of the noise seems to originate from the air movement rather than the motor/impeller. Also looks like you can easily build an isolation box around your setup as you've used a corner mounting

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents, this is much appreciated.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis davidson View Post
    Dennis, Theoretically, placing your dust collector against a wall (half space), and assuming the wall is a perfect acoustic reflector (which a stud wall is NOT), the sound pressure measured near the DC will double. Putting it in a corner (quarter space) will double the sound level again (the worse of all situations, except maybe putting it in a closet with the door open...).

Consider putting 2 panels of unfaced Rockwool (or Owens Corning 703 or 705) in the corner behind the DC (behind the motor and impeller). This will cut down on the reflected energy and get you closer to Oneida's measurements (which may be full pace or half space, I don't know, but a half space measurement would represent realistic usage).

There are so many different ways to measure sound pressure that I wouldn't consider comparing the numbers from one manufacturer to another.
    Mark McFarlane