Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you lend out your hand tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Obviously you haven't worked with a lot of engineers. I have seen them use a paper cutter to cut circuit boards. They feel they were rather smart about it and didn't care that it totally ruined the paper cutter. I worked with one who thought he was creative using an expensive die tool as a hammer because he didn't bother to take the time to find the hammer hanging on the wall.jtk
    Sorry Jim, all I work with is engineers and I have never met, in 30 + years anyone like you describe. You are probably referring to some 'train' engineers - not real engineers. You know, folks like the ones that ran your trolleys.

There are many members here who subscribe to the minimalist philosophy of not having extra tools in their shop. jtk
    This is laughable. Thanks Jim, I needed a chuckle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Sorry Jim, all I work with is engineers and I have never met, in 30 + years anyone like you describe. You are probably referring to some 'train' engineers - not real engineers. You know, folks like the ones that ran your trolleys.
    No Pat, on my last job the train drivers were referred to as 'Train Operators' or TOs.

The engineers with whom I worked before were actual degreed/credentialed electronics and mechanical engineers. They had vast knowledge in some areas but very little practical knowledge or what some might consider common sense. This often happens when a person embarks on a single minded pursuit of a specialized discipline without taking time to take in other parts of life.

There actually were some engineer in my experience who did have a background in doing the 'grunt' work. They usually knew better than to use a screwdriver as a crow bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    This is laughable. Thanks Jim, I needed a chuckle
    There are a few members here who have mentioned having a small shop and not wanting or feeling a need for anything extra. When the subject of chisels is brought up there are always some who say, "only buy the sizes you need." Not me, my philosophy is to buy all that come my way if they are of a good quality.

Even the Schwarz has written of lightening his tool box to what is minimally needed.

So chuckle if you like Pat, you are only indicating you lack understanding of life outside your own experience.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There are a few members here who have mentioned having a small shop and not wanting or feeling a need for anything extra. When the subject of chisels is brought up there are always some who say, "only buy the sizes you need." Not me, my philosophy is to buy all that come my way if they are of a good quality.

Even the Schwarz has written of lightening his tool box to what is minimally needed.

So chuckle if you like Pat, you are only indicating you lack understanding of life outside your own experience.

jtk
    Yeah, I'm one of them. I only buy, and keep the tools I need.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Yeah, I'm one of them. I only buy, and keep the tools I need.
    Thanks Paul, I can fully understand and appreciate this philosophy or way of living. I blame my father for giving me a pack rat gene so my way is different. I do not suffer from having too much accumulation of oddities, I enjoy every minute of it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim, strangely enough, my wife would laugh her butt off if she saw this thread. She regularly accuses me of being a pack rat, largely because I don't think she realizes that a person with "only" five chisels (albeit all very high quality ones) and "only" four joinery saws (again high quality) isn't a pack rat. All my hand saws were made before my dad was born (1923.) Same with planes. I have the a smoother, a jointer, a jack a plow a couple of shoulder planes and a couple of router planes. Bought over a 15 year period (those were new.) Almost all my marking gauges are ancient.

It isn't just some noble thing. It's necessity, borne of my head injury, and subsequent existence on a pension, but I suspect I wouldn't be much different, frankly. I don't like debt.

She also thinks I'm a pack rat because I collect books. I was on a path to be an academic before my head injury derailed me. Books are not a pack rat thing!

its funny, when my dad sold our farm, he kept a fire burning for about a week to get rid of all the detritus he had gathered over the years.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 12-14-2016 at 2:45 AM.
    Paul

If I consider the person asking is skilled I would lend them anything but that never happens as they have their own tools. I've lent out clamps to someone making a table. My son borrows things and I fix them after. Edge tools requiring skilled sharpening never! So generally no!
    I would lend power tools if the risk of serious injury is low.

Blog Entries
    Howdy William and welcome to the Creek. My curiosity always makes me wonder were folks are from. Your profile doesn't have your location filled in, so where on this planet do you call home?

jtk

Blog Entries
    Books are not a pack rat thing!
    One of the first things made in my journey through woodworking was bookshelves to hold my library. Had to make more for Candy's library. Still need to make more.

Pretty soon we might need a cabinet to house a card catalog.

jtk

They had vast knowledge in some areas but very little practical knowledge or what some might consider common sense.
    This is not unique to engineers. Software Development is filled with just such people. Brilliant, but sometimes lacking in practical knowledge.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    This is not unique to engineers. Software Development is filled with just such people. Brilliant, but sometimes lacking in practical knowledge.
    Don't get me started on "programers." It amazes me how much is not or can not be done by the computer systems in use in many places of business.

One example is our billing for natural gas. Candy, my wife, was having trouble paying through their website. While talking to the service center about this the person on the other end of the line mentioned, "oh you need to put a zero in before entering your account number. All the account numbers start with a zero that isn't printed on your bill and no mention is made of this on the web site." Someone somewhere has their head stuck up a place where the sun don't shine. If this was my only example, it would be an exception. Believe me, as one who has a degree in microprocessor technology, it amazes me how negligent to real needs some software developers can be.

jtk

Quick aside about programmers. True story. I walked into a room where I could hear a bunch of swearing that another student told me had been going on for a fair while. The programmer in question had been literally pounding on the machine with his fists, "cause it wouldn't turn on."

Wait it for it.

The monitor was off.

I seriously wish I was making this up.
    Paul

A person who doesn't understand why you don't want to lend tools is EXACTLY the kind of person who will keep them or screw them up.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

I balance the the tool replacement against the cost to say NO. Usually it means I will not borrow any of my main tools, perhaps some of the few spares (older or second line) I have. Basically I assume when borrow anything I am giving up it... if it returns, it is a plus!

It is the same for my books and records (yes, I have some hundreds of old vinyls).

Have this hanging on my shop door.
    IMG_0715.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale