Thread: Coffee table

Coffee table

My brother asked for a coffee table, and this is what I came up with. He's 2000 miles away, so I tried to make something that was shippable, and (hopefully) tolerant of humidity changes. I took a few pictures in my living room, because now I want to make another for myself

The legs are ash, and the veneer is sen. The top has a slight boat shape in both dimensions. Finish is shellac and poly. Thanks for looking!

2016-12-03 12.33.30.jpg2016-12-03 12.33.50.jpg2016-12-03 12.33.57-2.jpg

That's nice Jesse and it totally matches the style of the living room.Great job!
    Aj

Beautiful execution, Jesse!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I love the style, specifically the legs! I'd love to see a diagram/sketchup if possible...

Thanks for the kind remarks, guys!

I just made this up as I went along, so I don't have any drawings or specific dimensions, but it's roughly 4' x 2' x 18" high. The legs are angled to taste (and to fit some ash that I had on-hand), and the inside angle transition is radiused. I laid them out so that quartersawn grain is on the outside, and mitered the angle so the grains runs the length of the leg. The edges are rounded over, the legs are splayed to align with the diagonal, and they land about an inch inside the perimeter of the top. The legs on each end are joined as a pair with a board that screws to the top, so they can be removed for shipping.

I've already boxed this up, but If I make another for myself, I might draw something in Sketchup. However, my wife requested a different project first :P

Nice work Jesse! My wife and I love MCM and Danish Modern and that table is the bees knees. Showed my wife and she also likes your credenza and Selig Z chairs. Your table complements all your furnishings well.

Thanks, Jon! We obviously dig the MCM stuff too.

I made the credenza, but we bought the chairs. After considering how long it would take me to make them, and my cost vs. retail, I took the easy route :P