Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Lie-Nielsen plane is not a collectable. They still make them. Please stop.

When you want to sell your LN small T&G plane, just let me know Derek...

I can certainly understand that. You likely have all that you will need so no desire to change things up. I have a Festool vacuum clamping system that's worth over 3 grand according to eBay. But good luck convincing me to part with it. I did consider it, briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    The Lie Nielsen planes have lower quality plane irons, vestigial cap irons, and are quite a bit heavier than optimum. All that polishing is not helpful if the result is a plane that is subpar.
    Warren, what you write may be true, however there are many excellent furniture makers building excellent furniture with LN, Veritas, and other heavier-than-desired "premium" planes. The bottom line is that they work, perhaps not at the level you expect, but they do, modern cap irons and all. Gene Landon, an avid plane collector if there ever was one, even owned a Holtey or two.

There are those than can, and do, and those that seek to connect to them. Owning a set of fine hand tools aids in joining the world of the artist and craftsman. I will not criticise them and take away their pleasures.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    When you want to sell your LN small T&G plane, just let me know Derek...
    Keegan, are they no longer available? I a am sure they will be again. Just wait a year.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    Also, I think there is a bridle plow in your collection that deserves to be on that list
    Aaah Assaf, you recall our competition! That was a fun time. 11 years ago ... time flies. Here is a link to the build: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...oughBuild.html

Truth is, I prefer using the Veritas Combo as a plough plane.

If FWW had not done a bit of a feature on it, I would consider selling it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    It's like the "Beanie Babies" trend, only much more costly. Here are a few of the latest eBay attempts at making a giant profit off a Lie-Nielsen tool. At least with the white bronze limited editions they are actually limited, but come on- stop the madness. $1250???

Attachment 348762Attachment 348763Attachment 348764Attachment 348765

Even the empty box is collectable. Great news- I have enough boxes to pay for a new No. 8. I'd better get those posted.

Attachment 348766

Rosewood handle- I get it- and they don't make that handle any more, but is the handle worth the additional $200? I'm going to say no- no it isn't.

Attachment 348768

End rant.
    What's your opinion on any of the high end hand made tools? Why should anyone pay extra for Auriou Rasps, Barr Forged Tools, Woodpeckers Precision Tools, Bad Axe saws, Blue Spruce tool works, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    What's your opinion on any of the high end hand made tools? Why should anyone pay extra for Auriou Rasps, Barr Forged Tools, Woodpeckers Precision Tools, Bad Axe saws, Blue Spruce tool works, etc?
    Richard, from my reading of Malcolm's rant (which I fully agree with), he is simply venting what he sees in these auctions. While I do not want to speak for him, he doesn't suggest that high end tools are not worth their premium. Rather, he is focused on the resale of coveted tools by users and collectors.

Derek, once again I am so impressed and inspired by that plow and its handsome box...I might have to use a similar design for my own tools

So it seems that the complaint is that other people are paying too much for stuff. That's a weird complaint IMO, but it has been common recently.. On every board I'm a member of, across multiple hobbies.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Welcome to the free market folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I have an Auriou rasp and felt it was worth the investment. I have a drawer full of Nicholsons that don’t work anywhere near as well.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

If I may be allowed to add my opinion to the discussion. Some of us come from a life where we did not have access to as much wealth as others, maybe later in life we do better, maybe we do rather well. A lot of us keep a frugal attitude even after we have more disposable income. I would consider myself pretty stupid if I were to spend thousands of dollars on a hand plane, even if access to the money wasn't a problem. It'd stupid on my part if I were to spend £50 for a cup of coffee, too (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...onsumeraffairs).

Perhaps others are happy to own that one special tool and a few thousands is not an issue, that's fine.

What is not ok is to suggest that these tools are so good that they are needed to make fine furniture. Videos of a furniture making company showing somebody taking a few shavings off of pieces of furniture that have obviously been machine processed doesn't show a correlation between boutique hand planes and high end furniture.

Rafael
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-11-2023 at 1:49 PM.

I on the other hand, live in a country that is poor in woodworking history (and tools). And started committing to building a workshop in the last 3 years. Between prices (usually double what you pay for in America, and unavailability, its been rough.

Availability is still spotty throughout the line is it not? Still lots of unfilled backorders? Tools are being sold in secondary markets as if the company were functionally out of business, and if you don't want to wait a long time then to you it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    I on the other hand, live in a country that is poor in woodworking history (and tools). And started committing to building a workshop in the last 3 years. Between prices (usually double what you pay for in America, and unavailability, its been rough.
    My cranky post got edited, we're supposed to be nice.

I don't know how easy trade with the UK, Europe, Japan, China or Australia is for you, the USA is not the only source of old or new tools. Have you tried using mail proxy services? A friend of mine uses a proxy to get tools from Japan, the shipping cost is not outrageous.

If you really want it, whatever it is, I guess you'll just have to pay for it.