Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any 110V 8 inch jointers?

Are there any 110V 8 inch jointers?

I've looked at all the usual suspects, and I can't find a 8 inch jointer that runs on 110/120 volts.

I'm renting, so I can't install the 230v everything seems to require.

Wondering if anyone has a hidden gem for me?
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

I doubt it would do you any good looking if you do find one. An 8" jointer pretty much needs a 2or 3HP motor, and at 110V that'll draw more current than any standard low voltage circuit is rated for. The absolute biggest motor you can run on normal household wiring at 110V is 1.5 HP, and even that would require a dedicated 20 amp circuit. A 1HP 8" jointer on the other hand would be seriously under powered.

Your house is already wired for 220V, by the way. If your shop is near the service entry, you might be able to convince the owner to let you have an outlet wired right next to the service entry. Or, if it's near a utility room wired for a drier, there will already be service there.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 12-05-2016 at 8:06 AM. Reason: typographical

A vintage Delta or Powermatic 8" jointer would likely have a 110v motor. Off the top of my head I don't know the Delta model number, but the Powermatic would be a Pm 60, which is a great jointer.

--Geoff

My Delta DJ-20 was 220v. Inside the motor cover plate where the connections are at, there was a simple diagram to convert it to a 110v. No noticeable loss of power, and it's not like I use it everyday, so the power consumption increase? Who cares..

I have a Powermatic 60 8" jointer, Leeson 1.5HP motor 120v that pulls 17 amps per the data plate on the motor. It's not underpowered that I can tell and has jointed everything I have thrown at it with ease over the past years. I do have it on a 20 amp circuit. Randy

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    +1 on older jointers. Delta 37-315, Powermatic 60, Boice Crane, Yates all had models with dual voltage motors between 1-2hp. My Delta/ Millwaukee/Crescent has a 120/240V 1 hp motor driving a four knife head- plenty of power and I face eight inch (and wider) hardwoods often. I do run it at 220.
    If your needs will only be filled by an eight inch jointer, you may have to look at an older machine with straight knives to find one that will run at 110v. If you're looking to have a shelix style head you'll have to go with at least 1.5 hp, probably 2hp and then you'll need a pretty hefty dedicated circuit to run it

Plenty of people have 13" lunchbox planers running on 120V/15A circuits, not sure why an 8" jointer would need more power than that...

Sure, my 8 inch General jointer was either 3/4 or 1 HP, and 120 volts.

Jointers don't need much power, they're hand fed machines with low feed rates, and limited depth of cuts. (Unless you're using it with a stock feeder).

Regards, Rod.

So it seems like I'm stuck with either a 6 in or my handplanes for a few more years yet.

Thanks for the input. You guys are awesome.

Don't give up yet. Have you tried contacting the dealers of machines you're considering to see if they're dual voltage, single phase? (And they have to look at the motor tag, not the catalog) Or looked into swapping out a motor? And like several of us said, there are a bunch of 8" jointers with 110/220v motors.

https://www.southern-tool.com/store/...d-jointers.php
    There are plenty out there. 1 to 2 hp is plenty. 3 hp is overkill. My 16" Oliver had 3 hp. In my 40 years of preparing and turning of woodworking machines I don't recall ever seeing an 8" inch three horse power Jointer. Lots of 110 V joiners out there

I suppose I should have specified that I was interested in new machines.

None of those machines at that link are 8 inch, 110V

Blog Entries
    Check current Woodcraft add. They have one.

I was referring to checking the motor tags on new machines, I'm sure there are several supplied with dual voltage motors