Thread: Nova Galaxy

Nova Galaxy

Does anybody have The Teknatool nova galaxy Lathe? I have been looking at this for awhile now and see that it now on sale at woodcraft. Just wondering if anyone has one or has heard anything good or bad about them.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/864...644-lathe.aspx
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

From everything I can tell it is the same as the Nova DVR XP which came with a 24" bed.
    The Galaxy comes with a 44" bed and the new black color instead of gray/silver.
    Every place I looked said the DVR XP was not available.
    If you search the forum there is probably lots of info on the DVR XP.
    Looks like a good price it that includes the cast iron legs as pictured. Going by the weight it should.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I have the original DVR and really like it, especially the swivel headstock. That makes hollowing so much easier on the back. The galaxy is a significant upgrade to the DVR, the headstock also slides along the bed and the bed is wider with more polished ways. There is also a dial for speed control. This should be a really nice lathe and a deal at that price.

I bought one of the beta models early on. I feel it is a great machine, not perfect, but maybe 9 out of ten. Mine had some minor issues that Teknotool took care of. It has a nice long ground bed, headstock that swivels and moves, plenty of power and being direct drive,it is very quiet.
    i have had several issues with the spade connectors in the headstock coming loose. This is easy to correct once you figure it out. I think Teknatool is aware of this and hopefully does a fix. The touch type controls arn,t my favorite, but you get used to them. Its a lot heavier than their other machines. I,m happy with it overall.

For that price range, you should probably also compare and contrast with the new Laguna lathe.

Like others who have already chimed in, I bought the NOVA DVR XP about six years ago and have been very happy with it though I do wish Teknatool had thought to incorporate the sliding headstock and turn dial RPM setting. I've not played with all the comparable lathes but I consider this at or near the top for serious home hobbyist turner before one gets into 'silly' money costs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Grace View Post
    Like others who have already chimed in, I bought the NOVA DVR XP about six years ago and have been very happy with it though I do wish Teknatool had thought to incorporate the sliding headstock and turn dial RPM setting. I've not played with all the comparable lathes but I consider this at or near the top for serious home hobbyist turner before one gets into 'silly' money costs.
    I take it you haven't actually looked at the Galaxi and the differences between it and the DVR you have, like a siding head-stock and a dial speed control.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I've never used one, but I will say that you should consider a G0766. I paid 1800 bucks for mine with shipping, and it has 22" of swing over the bed and more than enough muscle to make use of it. I have nothing but good things to say about it, knock on wood.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Purchased the Galaxi back in November. It's by first big lathe (maybe even my last) so I don't have much to compare it to except an Excelsior 10x24. However I have yet to find anything I don't like about it. It runs smooth, it easy to control and has a number of features I like. The speed knob looks like a big improvement over the button speed control of the XP. I compared it to the competition pretty closely. For me the decision came down to the DVR motor. I liked not having belts and pullys because it sits in a pretty cold place during the winter and I was concerned that over time those might degrade. I didn't need the 44" and if they would have had it in a shorter size I would have went that route.

Well i Pulled the trigger on it. went to our local woodworkers depot, had the ad for woodcrafts sale on the galaxi asked him if he could do any better, he said all I have is the floor model and I will let you you have it for 1999.99. So far its great spent a few hours on sat setting it up and trying it out. I think I am going to be very happy with it. Like Bob if they had it in a shorter size I would of went that route also. Now to start buying all the accessories for an 1-1/4" shaft
    Grandpa always told me. "A good woodworker is not one that makes no mistakes. A good woodworker is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes."

Congrats, Cal! I have the XP and absolutely love it. The direct drive and lack of belts makes things very easy, especially since you will also have the sliding head and dial speed controls. Now you have no excuse not to make those 200 custom made Christmas presents everyone tells you they want! I wish you a lifetime of safe turning!

John