Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to tell if your electrician has OCD

Blog Entries

How to tell if your electrician has OCD

Saw this on FB, thought it was worth reposting.
    NOW you tell me...

That's pretty amazing. I had a friend that rewired his house and the Romex in the attic was laid out about like that on 1x4s he put in. No kinks or sags and with a staple about every foot. He even predrilled the staple holes so not to split the 1x4s. Until then I thought of him as normal
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    Did they also clock the screws?

I would rather have something neat like that instead of some of the rat's nests so commonly encountered.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would him in a second!!

Red
    RED

Wow, that's a work of art! I can't trace a wire out of my box.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I don't know, the 110 electrical box's lower wiring looks sloppy.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

This person loves his/her job .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I would hire this guy in a heartbeat.

My father was an electrician, when I was a teenager and would help him, that's what all of his work looked like whether it was romex or 4" rigid.

Once I ran 3 parallel 3" EMT in the ceiling of a crawlspace where you had to lay on your back to drill the anchor holes.

One run wasn't exactly parallel and I was told to redo it without pay.

I foolishly retorted something to the effect of "Who will ever know about this, or who did it?".

Boy, I received the 10 minute lecture on the fact that he knew about it, and he never did work like that or wanted his name attached to it, that he was a tradesman and not some clown from the curb, yada yada yada.

I did redo it, and he did pay me for it (I Think), little did I know that his influence would shape my future.

Decades later I was making Morris chairs and my one daughter when I explained about the M&T construction said "Dad, why not use biscuits, who will ever know? That's just stupid doing all that work for nothing".

Geez, it was like lecture flashback, afterwards I exclaimed to Diann "Jeez, I've become my father".

She replied, "Well, at least you picked a good role model"...........Smart lady, wonder what she's still doing with me?.........Rod.

My son is building a house at this time, just starting in on the electrical stuff. Sent him a copy.....

Blog Entries
    Looks great to me. I would try to do it that neatly.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

25 years ago we bought our house (built 1964 ish) and soon thereafter I pulled the cover off my main panel of breakers and the wires to each of the circuit breakers was done by his younger brother or cousin - definitely a blood relative with the same family influence - I had two reactions: first was admiration and appreciation "This guy was a craftsman, knew what he was doing, and did it as though it were his own house." and the second was priceless, ie piece of mind.

I question the wisdom (or code compliance) of running exposed wires in that way. That must be an unusual situation.

Does anyone remember the conduit to outside of Kentucky Fried Chicken places? It must have been factory bent so each piece was parallel to next.

I love it. As an electrician for 43 years I tried to adhere to this way of thinking. Doing pipe work was my most joy and getting all the concentric bends to match up. It was what we were taught and the mark of a good union electrician. I would love to see the inside of the panel also. I bet that too is neat and easy to follow.
    John T.