Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to tell if your electrician has OCD

It is correct if you don't place two wires (double lug) on a breaker. You are allowed connections within the box though. If you double lug your breaker, it's incorrect; at least here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I may not be an electrician as I noted before, but I am able to find some code info:

As cute as all that wiring is, and whether or not those 68 wires will ever add up to more than the 400 amp the box is likely rated for, there's 51 lines running into that box. And if what I read above is correct, that ain't legal. And probably not all that smart.
    Look at my last post and beside there is a sub-panel next to it. We do not know how many slot panel that is. It could be a 60 slot panel.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    It is correct if you don't place two wires (double lug) on a breaker. You are allowed connections within the box though. If you double lug your breaker, it's incorrect; at least here.

I wasn't thinking of anything other than double lug. I didn't even know there was a word for it, double lug, but I was pretty sure that is not correct.

Does this mean you can wire-nut two circuits together, then lead just one wire to a breaker?

Can't you tell I don't know wiring?

Blog Entries
    Not OCD, but I do like my breakers tagged clearly, so I did an Excel spreadsheet and taped it to the panel door. And when I changed out my furnace in October, I noticed the larger 1 hp blower required a 20 amp service, so I changed out the breaker and wiring from 15 amp to 20 amp. The furnace guy that came to do the new plenum said he never saw anybody upgrade the wiring for a 1 hp blower.
    NOW you tell me...

You are allowed to wire nut two circuits together in the fuse box and then have one wire go to the circuit breaker. That's legal here. You simply can't have two wires going to the same circuit breaker. You should note that those two "circuits" cannot have more maximum units (such as lights, duplex receptacles, etc.) than allowed had they been wired as one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    I wasn't thinking of anything other than double lug. I didn't even know there was a word for it, double lug, but I was pretty sure that is not correct.

Does this mean you can wire-nut two circuits together, then lead just one wire to a breaker?

Can't you tell I don't know wiring?
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 12-10-2016 at 12:29 PM.