Thread: water based lacquer

water based lacquer

Hi all, was thinking of buying some em6000 lacquer from target coatings but not sure of the best way of rubbing out.I made some cherry practice cabinet fronts and want a satin finish for the final finish but don't know if i should buy gloss and rub it down to satin or buy satin and just rub it down with 0000 steel wool and then polish with steel wool rubbed with wax.I never used water base lacquer before so a little help would be appreciated. Thanks

Steve, I'm not sure why you are wanting to do the rubbing especially with steel wool. I don't recommend steel wool for any finishing procedure at all and especially with water-borne coatings as water and steel wool may cause rust spots. EM6000 is a simple water-borne lacquer that is spray applied and only needs de-nibbing between coats. Buy the gloss level you want to finish with and you will get a good result. Cheers

I agree with Wayne. I've always been satisfied with the sheen choices with EM6000 and it's predecessors. I pretty much use the Satin all the time for the look I prefer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...