Thread: Woodcraft caster sale question.

Woodcraft caster sale question.

Hello everyone. New member here.
    Been lurking for a while and have finally decided to get my shop up and running to be more in line with my needs. I've read about the woodcraft casters and how they're the way to go. A few members have stated they just wait for a sale to buy them.
    Would anyone happen to know what kind of savings I could expect if I did indeed wait for a sale? The ones I'm looking at are the 3" double locking.
    Sincerely, Dave.

Blog Entries
    Just to add to your pricing research. If you search hard enough on here you will find comparisons between the Woodcraft and Peachtree double locking casters. I have sets of each and to be honest even forget which is which. The point is that the 3" double locking from Peachtree is $14.99 when you buy 4, every day. Just food for thought.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks, Glenn. I did see that comparison. I'll have to keep that in mind.
    FWIW, I went by TSC because I saw they had casters that looked similar to the ones from woodcraft (comparing to the picture from Randy Klein's post). They were indeed double locking with a red 3" wheel but the lock mechanism only had 4 teeth and there was a considerable amount of play. Sincerely, Dave.

One more FWIW:
    I called woodcraft today and asked them when the casters (Item #141051 WoodRiver) might be going on sale again. She said the prices were going to be staying $18.99 for a few months.
    She also did say the past sale prices that she could see were $14.24 and $13.29.

There is FREE shipping today and code "fall20" will get you $20 off $200. Still no close to the casters being on sale.

Sincerely, Dave.
    Last edited by david mcintyre; 12-09-2016 at 4:07 PM.

Kreg casters have been 39.99 recently on Amazon. 4 of them for $40. They are 3" and double locking. They have threaded mounts. Not sure if those might work. They are nice casters.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I bought a set of 3 inch locking casters for $20 at Rockler. I put them on my Kreg router table. A perfect fit and they work well.

I have used the woodcraft casters (orange) for 10 years or more on all my machines (shaper, large bandsaw, TS, woodmaster) with no problems

+1 on the Kreg casters. I have them on two different carts. Excellent quality and the easiest I've found for locking/unlocking. I've had others that you had to pry up hard from underneath with the top of your shoe to get 'em to unlock. Can't comment on the Woodcraft or Rockler, haven't used them.

Could also check out Stanley E. Smith, pretty much a caster wonderland.

You might also check out http://www.castercity.com/heavy-duty...uty-Industrial They have a wide variety of casters and were helpful to me for heavy load casters to replace some that the came apart due to setting in place even though load was less than half of rated capacity.

FWIW, Woodcraft had their casters on sale in October.
    Mark McFarlane

Annoyingly, the (my) local Woodworker store does not honor the Woodcraft sales price on casters. So no "instant" gratification when that sale pops up.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I just picked up (4) 6" Polyurethane Tire Aluminum Wheel Precision Bearing Double Locking and (4) 5" casters with the same build, all with 1,000 lb load ratings, from CasterDepot for about $14 apiece, plus shipping. Shipping was STIFF ($40), but even so I got premium casters for less than I would have spent on the WC units, which didn't have stout enough load rating for me. (Okay, I only needed 4, but doubled up on the deal.)
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I have bought a few from Borg Depot and they have worked fairly well. The 3" double locking ones, red tires, are under $10 each.