Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shellac

"uncle"
    I tried to Google it just now, and just got confused.

You may well be right, Prashun. Water is polar. Carbon backbones w hydrogen only side chains are non-polar.

Maybe one of our chemists can weigh in.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I thought there were other reasons why ethanol was preferable to methanol for use with shellac (despite the toxicity issue).

Yes, all DNA has ethanol and methanol. But the cheaper BORG versions are starting to have greater and greater proportions of methanol in them. The last one I looked at, if I recall correctly, was majority methanol.

Looking at the Kleen Strip MSDS forms, Kleen Strip Green is 80-90% ethanol.

Regular Kleen Strip SLX is 30-50% ethanol, and 40-60% methanol. So it's really mostly methanol. Not cool in my book, so I don't use it. And I'm OCD regarding chemical mask protection while I work.

Everclear, of course, is the real deal, but not obtainable in Florida.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I've been told that Everclear has gone up in price way beyond the high tax ,to compensate retailers for mandated safety handling since it is a flammable material sold among non flammable products. Post 911 stuff. Some states have stopped selling it. I like Behkol for disolving shellac flakes ,I think it works as well as Everclear and its way cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I thought there were other reasons why ethanol was preferable to methanol for use with shellac (despite the toxicity issue).

Yes, all DNA has ethanol and methanol. But the cheaper BORG versions are starting to have greater and greater proportions of methanol in them. The last one I looked at, if I recall correctly, was majority methanol.

Looking at the Kleen Strip MSDS forms, Kleen Strip Green is 80-90% ethanol.

Regular Kleen Strip SLX is 30-50% ethanol, and 40-60% methanol. So it's really mostly methanol. Not cool in my book, so I don't use it. And I'm OCD regarding chemical mask protection while I work.

Everclear, of course, is the real deal, but not obtainable in Florida.
    Thanks for that Alan.....you would think the manufacturer would let the consumer know. DNA seems benign; "Kleen strip" cant be good to inhale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I've been told that Everclear has gone up in price way beyond the high tax ,to compensate retailers for mandated safety handling since it is a flammable material sold among non flammable products. Post 911 stuff. Some states have stopped selling it. I like Behkol for disolving shellac flakes ,I think it works as well as Everclear and its way cheaper.
    This is what I been wondering....you like Behkol-it's specifically made for shellac? I have not seen anyway to buy in a gallon(?)
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Yeah David, the Behkol ( made by Behlens finishing stuff company) is specificly for shellac. We had an old time type hardware store than always had some, they are now gone but it's easy to buy on line.

While I have not used Behkol, I suspect that the reason people like to use it (apart from the possible misperception that it's safer than other forms of DNA) is because it contains some amount of isopropyl alcohol, which will extend the open time of the shellac a tad. I find using IPA in part or whole for 'padding' makes it much easier to learn for a beginner.

It's been several years since I used any Behkol ! But I used it after reading that it can be depended on to easily dissolve the flakes. It had gotten to where the Borg stuff was just making a big glob. There might be some fine points to using Behkol that I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    While I have not used Behkol, I suspect that the reason people like to use it (apart from the possible misperception that it's safer than other forms of DNA) is because it contains some amount of isopropyl alcohol, which will extend the open time of the shellac a tad. I find using IPA in part or whole for 'padding' makes it much easier to learn for a beginner.
    Prashun, can the garden variety drugstore IPA be used (50% strength) or do you need the 99% version someone mentioned above?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

as long as the drug store kind isn't 'rubbing alcohol' which contains some water.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Prashun, can the garden variety drugstore IPA be used (50% strength) or do you need the 99% version someone mentioned above?
    The Swan 99% IPA from Amazon is just $6.50 per pint.

[URL=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B5JT8C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_nIOwyb2EV3DKH[/URL]
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty