Thread: Kickback on a tablesaw yup its real

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It happens just be glad you didn't get hurt worse. I take the time to do a "debriefing" focusing push blocks & featherboards & splitter and how to make that task safer. In your case, I think a splitter would have saved you. A push BLOCK (not a stick) that covers both off cut and save piece is the safest way to do this cut. You don't need to spend $$'s on fancy push jigs. I make mine of a piece of 2x4 and a 1" dowel for a handle cut the bottom to create a heal at the back. When its all chewed up, I just toss it an make another one.

I would suggest get all the stuff you need, set it up and do it again so that you do not have any fear about doing it again.

BTW, if the fence is on the right of the blade you should be pushing with your right hand and standing a bit to the left. I've heard of guys standing on the opposite side of the fence using the wrong hand to push. This is not proper technique using a TS. To me, they are just showing how scared they are of the machine.

There should always be some pressure against the fence. You can stand a bit to the left if kickback is a potential issue.

However, if you stand on the opposite side of the fence not only can you not see the wood/fence contact points, even worse, the tendency is to push the save away from the fence with more pressure into the blade. Even with a splitter this is not safe. Even worse, if something slipped, you could get a hand or finger in the blade.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 12-12-2016 at 9:15 AM.