Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas List...

Christmas List...

Well all good little turners out there...it's that time of year that Santa is looking for ideas on what's your most wanted turning list. Is it that new gouge, jig, chuck...or simply going all in on that big boy new lathe? Seriously though...my wife has been bugging me about what's on my list and while I've sent her a short list of a half dozen or so items from which to choose, I'm very much interested in what other turners are looking for as that special gift from a loved one or simply to themselves. Never know...what you want may surpass my own list of a steb center, one of Teknatool's multi-option tailstock centers, a larger pair of calipers. Sadly...I don't foresee an American Beauty under the tree this year but a brother can hope, right?

* Nova G3 chuck with an extra set of jaws
    * 5/8" crown-style (steb?) Drive center
    * 60* dead center

For flat work:
    * Four 18" Bessey parallel clamps
    * Some antique molding planes
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Already have a Woodcut corer and a Bosch planer that came in last week. I told my wife not to wrap it cause we both know what's in the box

My wife and I were out Christmas shopping. Although we were shopping together we separated in the shopping center. I got a call on my cell phone from my wife telling me that she needed my help and asking where I was. I told her "remember that jewelry shop that we were in about 10 years ago when you fell in love with that necklace? And we realized that we couldn't afford it but I promised to buy it for you when we could afford more? Well, I'm next door at the Rockler's store looking at wood turning products....." That was the start of the fight.... (a little Christmas humor)

She could go pick out a beautiful piece of exotic wood or three... then suggest what you could make for her.

JKJ

I just treated myself to a pair of CBN wheels from Woodturners Wonders. They've been on the list for a while and I'm getting a nice bonus this year so I pulled the trigger. Ordered a 180 and a 350. Paid like 250 bucks for the pair, I guess they are less expensive because they are aluminum not steel. I'll be sure to report on their efficacy once I get them.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

I'd love to find a Bowl Saver system under my Hanukkah Bush! Probably just get new socks and underwear, though. :-)
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    I just treated myself to a pair of CBN wheels from Woodturners Wonders. They've been on the list for a while and I'm getting a nice bonus this year so I pulled the trigger. Ordered a 180 and a 350. Paid like 250 bucks for the pair, I guess they are less expensive because they are aluminum not steel. I'll be sure to report on their efficacy once I get them.
    I've been quite happy with those I've bought. Ken told me he went with aluminum for several reasons, one was cost and one was the possibility (probably slim) that aluminum would pull heat away from the tool quicker. Lighter weight was also an issue as was the potential rust problem. One possible downside is they might dent easier than steel if abused, but unlikely in the hands of craftspersons!

JKJ

bulldog chucks have a 15% off through the end of the year, and I have mostly vicmarcs, So maybe some more jaws, and a chuckzilla. I have a few of their jaws, and have been very happy with them.

I have to give a shout out to their wallaby tool roll. If you need something to carry your turning tools, it is very well made.

Just a happy customer of theirs. http://chucksplus.com/index.php

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah all, and thank you all for your generosity with you skills and knowledge,
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 12-12-2016 at 12:44 PM.

I want a 10,000 sq. ft. shop....... On a river, in the country, with a forest, and a lake, by the ocean......

robo hippy

Never underestimate your wife. Mine bought me a PM3520b for Christmas several years ago. Wasn't even on my list.

I ordered that proper curtain track I've been wanting. A good hospital-quality one. No more ceiling hooks!

For me a good froe, and a Razertip woodburning set up.
    Last edited by Doug Ladendorf; 12-14-2016 at 1:57 PM.

For me, it's a Makita big bore kit for my purchased rental saw from the big orange box store. Piston, cylinder and a few smaller parts will boost the chainsaw from 60 cc's to 79 cc's. Makita s and Dolmar are essentially the same saw. The swap is well documented on YouTube. The carb, and lower end are the same in top three saws they sell.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I want a 10,000 sq. ft. shop....... On a river, in the country, with a forest, and a lake, by the ocean......

robo hippy
    Took the words right out of my mouth Robo!