Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stanley #79 Side Rebate Plane.

Quote Originally Posted by George Conklin View Post
    I wish I had a stone worthy of box like that.

I appreciate your posts on stones, Stewie. Being a Neander-newbie, you give me a much needed education. Thank you.

Btw, in your picture I see liquid on the stone and box. I'm assuming it's oil. Why? Isn't the stone removed from the box when in use?

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge and examples of your work.
    Thanks for the feedback George. The lubricant used for this stone is water, not oil. The stone doesn't need to be removed from its lower housing when in use, but the option to do so is left to the user. Extra clearance for cross grain movement were factored in during the mortising out. In the event the stone were to become overly tight longitudinally, a removable packer has been installed. The type of wood selected for a sharpening stone box is a major consideration, but that's another topic on its own, which would be considered of low interest on this forum site.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-21-2016 at 1:34 AM.

Plans are afoot to spend a great deal less time focused on woodwork forums during 2017. Its all gotten a bit stale on content over the last few years. I have tried to add some diversity in content within my own posts, but the viewers don't seem overly interested. There's way too much focus on the best brand of hand tool to buy imo, but that's not my call to make. (Far better for me to focus on what's important within my own work.)

I have a new project underway to make a set of Myrtle Winding sticks with Jarrah inlay. It will make a nice addition to the workshop.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 12-21-2016 at 12:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have a new project underway to make a set of Myrtle Winding sticks with Jarrah inlay. It will make a nice addition to the workshop.
    It is likely many others would be interested in your method of making some winding sticks.

You can't always judge interest by how many people comment on your posts. This thread has over 2,000 views in 8 days which show quite a bit of interest.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim; others should develop their own method of making winding sticks. Its not an overly difficult project.

regards Stewie;

While some may develop their own methods of making winding sticks is the goal, sometimes people need the push, or learn a new or more efficient way to perform a task. Hand tools versus power tools come to mind. There is an audience here. While skilled in my own field I come to the different forums to learn as much as to share. I for one enjoy your posts. For one it made me look at sharpening stone boxes in a different light.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Stevie,

i appreciate ate your threads and provide a different perspective many times. Your backsaw threads were great and don't be discouraged by lack of saw build threads on the forum. For someone like me, I get limited shop time and I am fairly new to hand tools. I am just learning proper techniques that work for me, building your advanced tools is a dream and at some point I'll have the skills to do it. Would like to see your process and winding sticks, I made a set last week but would love to see your process and the in-lays.

Bob