Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster laser replacement

Monster laser replacement

I have had the Monster hollowing system (and am happy with it) w/laser for a couple of years but am having problems with the laser not working. I have left a message at monster but they have not responded. I also see that Monster offers what appears to be an identical replacement laser.

There is a 4 year old post on the Creek that talks of a laser pen used to replace the Monster offering. Is anyone out there actively using a laser pen for the Monster hollowing system? If so, are you happy with it and can you give me info as to how to get one.

Thanks,
    Ron Borowicz

I purchased a laser pen to replace the original Monster unit. I made a wooden block to mount the pen to the laser bar. Rubber band holds the pen in the block and a cloths pen to activate the light switch. No delicate wires and separate battery compartment to fail. Works well. I can provide photo if desired.
    C&C WELCOME

Thanks Allan. I can visualize what you are saying. One additional question...have you had any problems with the pen and vibration?

I purchased a new laser diode. Can't remember where from. Can check when I get home. The problem is the wires and components vibrate loose. I packed the new one with epoxy to cover the circuit board and wire connections. That is called potting. Haven't had a problem again.

Working well.
    C&C WELCOME

If you go to Amazon and have Prime put in this number and you have it fo $13.18 in two days. VLM-650-03-LPT-ND Without Prime you will have to pay shipping.

Aside from the laser module failing, the most common problem with the system is the battery box. There are a couple of older threads where David DeCristoforo and I converted the laser to direct 110V by using a transformer. That is an easy and permanent fix for that issue - and, no more battery replacements!

I bought my lasers off of Ebay. I think for $2 apiece. They are really cheap. Yes they came straight from China. I went to a thrift store and bought a ~5v DC (they have to say DC on them) power supply. They were $1 apiece (package of 5). e_goto store. The leads on the laser modules are about 12" I think. I cut the end off the transformer and wired up the laser. You can remove the lens from the module to create a pinpoint beam if they come with a lens. I just used a couple of solderless connectors to make the connection. I also bought an old goose neck desk lamp at the thrift store for $3. I took it apart and saved the goose neck and the nuts and washers. I fed the laser leads and the power supply through the goose neck. I made a couple of mounting plates out of 1/4" baltic birch. I used the same washers and nuts to fasten the goose neck to the plywood. It works great.

Blog Entries
    Well mine was 413$ or so . I found the laser on amazon 13. 00 and a new i phone at the local att . i use the old phone transfomer , pot it in with hot melt glue all the wires to a stick of cherry .The cherry broke at the hole after 30 hr and i had to re drill . I sometimes use a 2 lb pice of steel bolted on the arm if its bouncing so bad i cant see it .

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    If you go to Amazon and have Prime put in this number and you have it fo $13.18 in two days. VLM-650-03-LPT-ND Without Prime you will have to pay shipping.
    That is a Digikey part number. LPA is brighter. VLM-650-03-LPT does come up on Amazon.
    Last edited by Dane Riley; 12-15-2016 at 6:56 PM.

11. Why even mess with the laser. I changed to a video system and for $50 or so it is the cats meow. Even converting to 110 and upgrading the bar to 1/2" I still was not satisfied with the laser, worked but was difficult. Cheap camera from ebay and an old tv or computer monitor and you are done.

I tried the video and did not care for it. That adds two more things to go wrong (a screen and the wire going to it). The worst part for me was having to watch the screen rather than the piece. I start my hollow form with a straight tool and then a curved tool for under the shoulder and then back to the straight tool to finish. That is three times to set the laser, those three times take about 15 to 20 seconds total. It was way longer with the screen and I still feel that the laser dot is better.

He everybody........ long time no see. All's well here and I hope there with you. Staying busy and off the computer as much as possible. I need to replace the module and am looking at this and the industrial option. Will it fit the 5/16th or 8mm hole in the laser shaft? Thx in advance!! mj
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
    That is a Digikey part number. LPA is brighter. VLM-650-03-LPT does come up on Amazon.

Diameter is .275" or 7mm.

thx Dane, I appreciate it.