Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Guys and Gals, It's time to get to work, time to donate!!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    "Guys and Gals, It's time to get to work!!"

Well maybe and maybe not?? I don't want to throw a wet blanket on this party; but it seems to me that we may be getting the cart before the horse if you get my drift. I think it might be prudent to wait for a request from Keith for donations before we all go firing off checks in the mail. Certainly it is a wonderful sentiment and surely appreciated; but we may be potentially causing Keith more trouble than help. Supposing there are considerations that the general membership are not aware of and Keith has already decided that it is in the best interests of all involved to change the ownership at SMC. Under that scenario, conceivably, he would feel obligated to return all unsolicited donations and we, with the best of intent, would be doing nothing more than saddling him with the distasteful task of returning all of those donations. It does not appear to me the situation is that critical that we can't wait a day or two with our donations to confirm with Keith that he wishes to attempt a volunteer effort to raise the funds necessary to keep SMC operational under the current structure?

Having said that, I did a few calculations which may or may not be of any consequence. There are 176 pages in the membership directory with 30 members on each page which works out to 5280 ft per mile....no no...total members. In an earlier post, Keith stated that it would take $5 from each member(?) to resolve the financial problem. I have no idea whether he was talking about total members or active members or the top 1,000 members?? Let's take a worst-case figure and say he needs 5 bucks from everyone on the list. That would project to the neighborhood of $26,400 per year or $2200 per month(a hair less than what John figured)!!!! WOW !!!
    Big bucks, folks.......

OK, we all know that everyone of those 5,280 "members" is not going to send money. A big chunk of that number...probably more than half....are folks who signed up, gave SMC a look for a week, posted once or twice and then never came back again. Just to get a number to work with, I arbitrarily picked folks with 10 or most posts as active members who might be likely to send some money and it turned out to be a nice round number....1500 members. Now, of that group, some are no longer with SMC and some will not be able to donate. Again in a totally arbitrary fashion(but with an eye to making the math easy) I assumed that 66% would contribute(probably a high estimate) which works out to 1000 members. From there it is easy to see that we would need $26 from each of those members....or maybe more.....to keep SMC alive and kicking for a year. That is a pretty daunting task in the current economic environment and may not be realistically attainable?? I don't know??

I want to reiterate that it is not my desire to cast a cloud over this effort. It is a commendable one in intent and spirit!! My only suggestion is that we hold off for a short time until we get directions from Keith on how he would like to proceed.
    Randy,

Thanks for your post as my thinking was much along this same line.

I am happy to contribute as I enjoy this forum as much as anyone here and want very much to see a continuation, but we need to think long term and not just buying a few days. And as you said, we need to await Keith's input and wishes. There is one more thing I would like to inject being a Public Accountant and that is the income tax consequences from these "donations". This could cause an income tax liability that would have to be paid by Keith and Jackie and these deductions are not tax deductable to the giver, not that it matters in my case as I would be more than willing to forego that aspect as would most everyone here.

Let's just slow down and finish thinking this thru with our leadership before we jump and make mistakes.

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, just rather be cautious and not make a mess for someone else to have to clean up. Intentions are good from all here and many want to help, including myself, but advise caution in how we approach this. Let's respect the house we are visiting and wait for the hosts to speak.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 10-09-2005 at 10:47 AM.

Okay folks, I just hit the donate button. And I will be glad to do it again every other month.

I used to frequent a users group site. It was an unmoderated site and a couple of individuals there "ran the roost". If you were a newby or said something that these two decided was ignorant, you got flamed. I found it very difficult to learn anything of significant value from the members there. I suspect a lot of people read posts but were afraid to contribute fearing the inevitable reprisals.It's easy to be harsh when you're not using your real name.

Keith, Jackie, Aaron, others and the moderators here have developed a site where people are treated civily whether beginners or pros and where the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask; a site where everybody is treated kindly and encouraged to contribute or ask. I can't begin to imagine what it takes in dollars and time to maintain this site but I xxxxx sure am willing to help maintain the dollar side of it.

I am awed by the photos of different members work and it gives me ideas for future projects. While I'm still in the process of finishing my new shop (my wife says it a retirement project....I won't retire for 4 more years) the ideas I got here caused some major changes in my initial design. Those ideas alone were well worth the cost of a "membership" here.

I also am impressed by the "human" side of the people here. It's more than a internet site it's an internet family. Keith, Jackie, Budlite Ken, Dennis, John M, Mark Singer, Jim B., and others have made it so....and it is......I shudder to think we could lose this and am more than willing to donate to continue this great site.......

Let's go......Pony up!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I donated $50.00. If you are a pro shop dig a little deeper. It's a tax deduction also!

Richard

I just hit the donate button and then I saw Randy's and Bob's posts, even if it's not the right way I'll consider it a donation for what I've gotten from SMC so far.

Pete

Sparky, Steve, Bernie,

Thanks for contributing.

$220 down, $2,280 to go.

Thanks to the others who have donated, but not posted the amount.

We Need to Send Some Money!!

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I'm in for $100. I have no where else to go if this site closes....

Keith, if you need more, please let me know. This place is a life line for me.

Jack

Richard and Jack,

Way to go and that's the spirit.

$370 down, and $2,170 to go.

We Need to Send Some Money!

John

Again, those whose have sent donations but not posted the amount, thanks.
    John Bailey

I had another thought after reading Randy's insightful caution....Keith is looking to relocate the server operations to another company in order to keep SMC going. Donations at this time will surely help in that effort as well.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thumbs up Step up time

Just sent my $10 in!!!!

Bob an Dan,

I understand your hesitation, and it probably is the prudent thing to do. However, I believe the wait is over. I did that the last time and I forgot. So, for me, I need to take some action. Those of you that would rather wait, I understand, and you've probably given more than I in the past. Some of us need to take some action now because we feel it's needed. Sometimes we just need to take action, or no action gets taken. That may be what led up to the current crisis. This is by far the best site I've been involved with, and without the money, the problem won't go away. We can discuss how best to save the site, but no matter which way we save, money must be sent. I could be wrong, but I think this site is full of folks that just didn't know the extent of the problem and feel they need to take action now also. The worst case scenario is the site closes and I'm out $25. No, the worst case is the site closes and I lose sleep because I didn't contribute.

John

John Bailey

Thanks Jack,

$380 down, $2,120 to go.
    John

John Bailey

Thanks John, keep beating the drum!

Richard

I have donated several times in the past and have no problems doign so again...and again....but i do am thinking along the lines of what Randy said.

Keith.....what can we do to help this time?

In regard to loosing your donation if things go south anyway, well having been the webmaster for a little bitty site compared to this I know that Keith has put in more than he's got out these last few years. So he can keep my $10 and have my thanks for all he's done for me in woodworking by making this site what it is, FANTASTIC!

Richard,

Thanks for the encouragement. I've always been told that I march to the beat of a different drummer. So, I've found my drum and I'm beatin' away.

Remeber a bit ago when Paul Cresti, hope that name's correct, quit the forum. I don't know Paul, hadn't read many of his posts, and he certainly is in a different (read higher) league than I. That being said, when he said he was leaving, I felt a loss. When he came back, I felt relieved. That's the kind of a community this is and that's worth an immediate donation right now.

I've been working on my shop for a year now. I want the "Creek" to be around when I'm done so I can show it off.

John

John Bailey