Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with this piece of wood?

Blog Entries

What would you do with this piece of wood?

I stopped by my supplier today and they had this amazing piece of 20" wide 4/4 mahogany, 10' long. I haven't bought it yet. What would you build with such a piece of wood?

IMG_1510.jpg

Blog Entries
    A cabinet to hold knick knacks or china would be a good use.

Maybe a lingerie cabinet for the wife?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Well, I like how you think! I was thinking more along the lines of a hall table of some sort, or a trestle table- something to show off the wide plank of wood. The problem is this stack appears to be African Mahogany, unlike thick stuff that they get, which is much darker, and ribbon striped.

That said, on the stack of the darker mahogany, which is much prettier, and is sawn into 8/4, there is an 18" wide, 9' long plank that could make a hall table and, minding the cuts, you could get the top and legs all from one piece. He is supposed to get in another shipment soon, and expecting 12' lengths, which I am probably going to hold out for. I just liked this piece and thought it would be interesting to hear the ideas of others on how to incorporate it into a design.

This guy gets some amazing chunks of wood, but it's very rough sawn, and usually fairly crooked. The ones that aren't crooked have a lot of spring in them and I never know what they are going to do once I saw into them. Typically I saw them thick, let them sit, even throw them on the hard concrete to work out the tension, and then final dimension them.

I agree with the hall table, or 3 coffee table tops. It would be a shame to rip it down for anything else. Another use would be a six board blanket chest. It is plenty long to do the four sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I stopped by my supplier today and they had this amazing piece of 20" wide 4/4 mahogany, 10' long. I haven't bought it yet. What would you build with such a piece of wood?

IMG_1510.jpg
    Whatever it is you are going to need more than one piece of it.

Blog Entries
    Do you have access to Honduran mahogany? I'd pass on African mahogany and buy Honduran.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I like the idea of a 3 piece table all continuos panels - 1 leg, to the top, to the other leg (left to right - or the other direction ). Stretcher made of something else and maybe with a small drawer.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I would make a bunch of shallow platters/wall hangings.
    Joe

I have never had wood move as much as what I was sold as "African Mahogany". very pretty wood, very moving wood. Rails and stiles (3/4" thick, 2-1/8" wide) would move overnight and I had a lot of raised panel doors to build. I finished with my typical Transtint-dewaxed shellac primer-three coats of water based poly (for kitchen use) and still had doors move.
    David

Blog Entries
    Yes, I usually pass on the African Mahogany. It is not as dense, has tricky grain, and moves like mad. This was a unique piece and I thought about getting it. The local mahogany is way better and so dense that it sounds like marble when you knock two pieces together. I do love the blanket chest idea and I need one of those. I'm probably going to pass altogether and see what comes in on the next batch.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    It would make a nice blanket chest with dovetail joinery.

Or.. I would ship it postpaid to Bruce Page. (PM for address)
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If you don't know, don't buy it. You have suffiicient experience and ability to know that, Malcolm. Resist the temptation.

I agree, pass it up. Some of that "African" Mahogany is just not decent material at all. I have never liked the stuff personally. I would not use Mahogany unless it is Honduran at the very least. And even then some people will sell Honduran and it winds up being something different altogether. Not even sure how they can even call the some of the examples of "African" mahogany at all. Keep on looking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    If you don't know, don't buy it. You have suffiicient experience and ability to know that, Malcolm. Resist the temptation.
    Thank you, voice of reason. I'm sorry for the way I have pushed you into that dark corner of my mind lately. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I agree, pass it up. Some of that "African" Mahogany is just not decent material at all. I have never liked the stuff personally. I would not use Mahogany unless it is Honduran at the very least. And even then some people will sell Honduran and it winds up being something different altogether. Not even sure how they can even call the some of the examples of "African" mahogany at all. Keep on looking.
    Yes, I agree. These guys usually get Caribbean/South American sourced mahogany that would blow you away, and lately (a) they jacked up the price, (b) they started getting 9' cuts as opposed to the 12-14' cuts they used to get, and (c) they are getting some African stuff. I am quite concerned because the beautiful Caribbean mahoganies have kind of become a trademark of my work. I'm afraid it's a sign of the times. I am very careful to explore the source of my supplier's wood. It's easy to get non-CITES certified woods here, although it is illegal. This guy is legitimate and careful with what he gets and from where. He had told me he was going to explore a potential new supplier. I made sure I let him know I don't plan to buy African Mahogany.

...but this wide piece I did kind of like. I think you've all had that piece of wood that just called you out and said, "hey, make something out of me!"