Thread: How much is a new pro 5 Festool sander worth?

How much is a new pro 5 Festool sander worth?

Where these just on sale through Festool for $99.00? Just saw a post on Craig's List for a new one in the blue sustainer for a 125% mark up. How much would you guys pay for this?

It is an upgrade to the $195 ETS 125 and based on the Euro prices (here it was released along with the other upgraded sanders, RTS and DTS) the Pro 5 (whether they call it a Pro 5 or ETS 125 as they still do in Europe) it will sell for the same $195. The Pro 5 also came with a $50 voucher for your next Festool tool purchase. So if you plan to buy one of these and didn't get in on the promotion it will likely cost you $195 until the next price increase. The going price on eBay is between $175 and $230 for the full set and some people are getting more by splitting it up and selling the pieces individually. I bought 4 for $99 so it would be hard for me to pay more, but that is mental not practical. If I was about to buy and ETS 125 now in the US, I would happily pay $195 since the Pro 5 is the upgraded sander and all that is available in the US new is the old ETS 125. One that plans to buy an ETS 125 and another Festool soon might pay more than $195 and still come out ahead since they could get the upgraded sander now and $50 back on the other tool. I would have actually paid $99 for the Systainer, voucher, plug-it and edge guard had that been the offer from Festool.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Festool had a limited time offer on those sanders, some of those who managed to scarf them up did so just to resell at market pricing.

I have no idea if these particular sanders will become part of their normal stable of sanders but the less powerful and slightly smaller ETS125 I bought many years ago was close to $200.00 with the systainer, a bag attachment and a few discs.

As far as what it's worth, probably boils down to what folks will pay for it.

I suspect if one buys it for significantly less than the ETS125 then perhaps it's a 'bargain'.

Yea IMO anything under the price of the ETS 125 is a good deal for a sander like this. Getting them for the $99 price plus the $50 voucher was just for those who got in early, I dont really think that price should gauge the value of the tool.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

If you don't buy it from a dealer, the warranty may be an issue so hard to imagine anyone would pay $195 when you can get the ETS125 for that. I think it's more important the the ets125 is very unimpressive compared to the ets150.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    If you don't buy it from a dealer, the warranty may be an issue so hard to imagine anyone would pay $195 when you can get the ETS125 for that. I think it's more important the the ets125 is very unimpressive compared to the ets150.
    With Festool the warranty is a non-issue, just register it when you get it in, the same goes for a used Festool still within the 3 year warranty. So the Pro 5 is a better sander (more power) than the old (but still available in the US) ETS 125 comes with a $50 voucher and an edge guard.

Anyone that gets a Pro5/ETS 125 should know it is a short stroke finish sander and will not compete with the ETS 150 for stock removal. It has its place and excels at fine grit work but it is not to be confused with a general purpose ROS or the owner will be disappointed.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Festool warranties are transferable. In the US anyway. I picked one up in the sale for $99. Still deciding whether I'll keep it...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Anyone that gets a Pro5/ETS 125 should know it is a short stroke finish sander and will not compete with the ETS 150 for stock removal. It has its place and excels at fine grit work but it is not to be confused with a general purpose ROS or the owner will be disappointed.
    Yep, when I first got mine I was a little disappointed with stock removal but as a finisher it's very nice.